LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display the front panel on my smartphone

Hello,

As part of my internship, I have to make a program Labview and I have to access it since my Android Smartphone.

I have seen on the National Instruments site : Data Dashboard is not available for smartphone but I still managed to download it (version 1.0). When I try to connect  to the server with this app, Data Dashboard crashes. Do you have any solutions to connect to the server and to display charts and indicators with this version

I have also an other solution : display the front panel of my VI in the internet browser of my smartphone. I have already try some browsers but none works because a plug-in blocks the display.

Do you know some internet browsers for smartphones which do not block the display of front panel ?

Thank you in advance,

Adrien

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(5,252 Views)

There are several methods of displaying a running VI, on a web page that a mobile device can view, here are 9 of them.

https://lavag.org/topic/19254-interactive-webpage-vi-options/?do=findComment&comment=116139

My favorite is the Front Panel Publisher that I helped develop.  Beyond that you can use web services which combined with some other web stuff like JQuery can control a VI remotelly.

Then there is the NXG WebVI which compiles a VI down to JavaScript.  This is a first party solution from NI that works pretty well for most simple things but has some major limitations.

Message 2 of 15
(5,213 Views)

Hi Hoovahh,

I tried with Front Panel Publisher.

But I follow all the steps (https://lavag.org/topic/19236-turn-your-front-panel-into-an-interactive-html5-site/) and I don't understand how or where do you add the main.html in the web service ? When I add a public content, that is main.vi.

Adrien

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(5,155 Views)

I suggest reading the whole thread.  The newest update I made was here.  All that should be needed is to extract the zip, open the project, open Example.vi, run it, click Save on the dialog that comes up.  Then the VI will be running, and the webpage will be opened in your browser.  From there you can mess around with it and see what settings do.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(5,122 Views)

Hi Hooovach,

Thank you again for your replying.

I tried with your program and I can display it on a browser but it doesn't run it ( even when I run the program from the VI).

On my smartphone, when I copy the URL, the web page is not available.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(5,073 Views)

Once again I implore you, read the whole thread.  The screenshot you show clearly shows an older version, using WebServices, and not the updated and completed version I linked to which once again is here.  Follow my previous instructions and it will run and display properly I just downloaded a fresh copy to tested it.

@Adrientt22 wrote:

On my smartphone, when I copy the URL, the web page is not available.

Well of course, you don't have a webserver.  Without this it will only run on localhost (which isn't seen in your screenshot telling me it isn't the right version too).  If you want the page to be accessible by other devices on the network, you will need to setup a webserver.  I usually choose XAMPP because it is free, and comes with other tools, and simple-ish to use.  Once setup any browser that goes to the IP address of this computer will see a webpage.  Using symbolic links and instructions in this post, and then this one, you can direct the webpage to be the one generated by the VI running in LabVIEW.

Before doing this however you'll need to edit the Example.vi.  In the example it is setup to just use localhost which is fine but you need to provide the IP address of this host PC if you want it accessible to other devices.  For that you'll need to wire the Host Connection input of the Publish.vi.  On the block diagram of the example is the IP to String function which can just be wired to this input.

Of course none of this is going to work until you have the example running and working on your localhost first.  Get that working then try adding the webserver and IP settings.

Edit:  Oh and for bonus points, if you want this page to be accessible from a device not on your network, you'll need to look into port forwarding on your router, and getting the public IP address of your modem.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(5,060 Views)

Sorry to have taken so long to reply but I had some problems to create the web server and to access to the program from my smartphone. Now it works properly but I would like to do the same thing with my program.

I tried to follow your advices to find the HTML file but it does not work when I found it. I can't access it after from my web server. Do I need to add other files or folders in my project to access the HTML file from the server?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(4,958 Views)

@Adrientt22 wrote:

Now it works properly but I would like to do the same thing with my program.

What works properly?  Are you saying the example runs on localhost on that computer?  Or are you saying other computers on the network can access it?  Or are you saying other computers on the internet can access it?

@Adrientt22 wrote:

I tried to follow your advices to find the HTML file but it does not work when I found it. 

What does not work?  What do you mean?

@Adrientt22 wrote:

I can't access it after from my web server. 

What webserver do you have?  How is it configured?

@Adrientt22 wrote:

Do I need to add other files or folders in my project to access the HTML file from the server?

No other files are needed.  If you follow my advice of installing XAMPP, then mapping a folder to the HTML, and edit the VI to use the PCs IP address, then you should be able to access that page from that PC from that IP address, or any other computer on that network using that IP address.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,951 Views)

I can access and control the example from others computers / smarphones on the network.

I created an html file of my VI ( with web publishing tool) and then, I added it to the folder "www" of my project. But when I run and publish my program in my webserver, I can't display the front panel because of a plug-in in the browser. Also, I don't know why but, since this morning, the public content address of my Main.html is "127.0.0.1".

I use xampp control panel to configure ports and I put the folder of my project in the folder "htdocs". 

Thank you again for your explanations. I know I don't understand everything because I never did it before but I want to learn Smiley Happy

Adrien

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,929 Views)

The web publishing tool requires Silverlight.  A technology only available for IE browsers on desktop.  It will not work on mobile, it will not work in Chrome, it will not work in Firefox.  This once again is not related to the Front Panel Publisher that I linked to.  That link again is here.  Download that example and run it.  If you aren't doing that then I can't help you.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,906 Views)