LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display message

I want to display a message to user for a few second whether the user responses or not.  It will be closed by itself in few seconds if no user interacts.  The most important thing I am looking for is while displaying the message, it will NOT hold (pause) the execution of the current vi.

The message type I am looking for is like Microsoft outlook displaying a message of a new coming email in few seconds then disappear.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,381 Views)

Hello ho3g,

My name is David and I am an Applications Engineer at National Instruments UK.

I have included a link below which I believe provides an example of exactly what you are trying to do:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-2064https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-2064

In this example it is easy to set how long you would like the pop-up window to remain open for by adjusting the time in the SubVI. Other aspects of the pop-up appearance can be changed be selecting File >> VI Properties.

If you require any further assistance do not hesitate to contact me.

Best of luck

David B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,367 Views)

also this thread might be helpful.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are (always) welcome for the good post. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,362 Views)

Just to add to the two above posts, here is an Example VI you can open in LabVIEW which demonstrates how the 'Prompt User Dialog Express VI' can be used. I right clicked on the express VI and selected show front panel so that the express VI could be modified. Adding timing into the while loop of the 'Prompt User VI' and wiring to the conditional terminal automatically closes the dialog box.

A simulated sine wave has been used to demonstrate that this can continue running while the prompt user command is visible.

Hope this helps,

Aaron. E
Product Performance Engineer
Dyson
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,354 Views)

If you don't want the main VI to pause execution you need to do some parallel processing. Look at the attached exemple.

Ben64

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,339 Views)