From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display message to user Config-Cancel Recompiles owning VI in LabVIEW 8.5

Okay, I noticed this when checking over some messages that I am displaying to users who have an invalid license for my app.

1. Create a new VI.
2. Drop a "Display message to user" on the block, type some message to the user.
3. Save and close the VI.
4. Open the VI again and double click the "Display message to user" on the block diagram.
5. Hit CANCEL.
6. Try to exit the VI that you have made NO changes to.... you get a "Save changes before closeing?" prompt with a description of "Some VI attributes modified".

I am being careful, now that I noticed the reaction, as this could drive my CVS versioning system nuts. Oh, and I just ran a mass compile on the entire NI directory a few days ago.

Anyone else have similar issues with this vi?

PS To make it easy I have attached an example. Start at step 4 above.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,630 Views)
BUMP.

Anyone?

AE group at NI, is this a bug?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,615 Views)
Hi Matt,

This is actually expected behavior with any Express VI. As soon as you open the configuration dialog for the express VI, it will assume changes have been made and require you to save the VI. The way around thi is to just use the two button dialog function that this express VI is based upon. You can see the underlying code by right-clicking on the Display Message to User vi and selecting open front panel. I hope this helps!
Nick R
NI
Message 3 of 4
(2,588 Views)
Thanks Nick. I just didn't see this reaction in 8.2 so I thought I would ask. 5 Stars comin at ya!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,585 Views)