From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display data from file

Hello,

I want to display measurement data from a file on the sreen (using a chart or graph). De data file is created by a measurement system, and in a binary format. It contains a header, samplenumbers and sample data from various channels. After i split the data in the various channels, i want to display all data from a channel in a grapgh and let the user scroll, zoom in, zoom out etc (using the graph/chart palette). My problem is that the data set can be quite large (over 150 million samples). Can labview handle these amount of data points and if so, how can i best handle/display them?

Thanks in advance,

Youri
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,480 Views)
Hi Youri,

you better don't display 150,000,000 samples in a chart... Using SGL datatype this will be 600MB of data and each indicator is having it's own data copy...

Take this approach:
pick only the data you want to display from your huge array. To do so you need to make your own scrolling/magnification routines... Also think of: a usual chart or graph is maybe 800 pixels wide. You cannot display (much) more points on this graph than those 800 pixels...

There are older threads handling the same problem of displaying huge data arrays on limited space chart/graph indicators.
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 3
(2,476 Views)
There is a tutorial that answers this question.  You can do it.  I have "plotted" 500 million points in LabVIEW.  Check out Managing Large Data Sets in LabVIEW.
Message 3 of 3
(2,395 Views)