From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display a PDF file in a Window within VI FP.

Solved!
Go to solution

Am using LV15 on a Windows 10 machine. 

I am looking to create a standalone VI that will help the user to choose a PDF file and then display it within the Front Panel of the VI.  SO why would I want to do this ?  For a particular product line that we deal there are some 300 plus data sheets and I should be able to call up a particular Data Sheet  based on the first few characters of the relevant PDF file. 

I looked upon a example here : http://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Program-Drafts/Display-PDF-in-Dialog-box-in-LabVIEW/ta-p/3506322

But that one is not very consistent and worked once or twice.. but always when STOP was pressed, it kind of froze.  Any better methods or VI examples exist ?? 

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(6,016 Views)

Hello,

Here you are provided a VI that opens Acrobat PDF Files from LabVIEW.

You can find more information on this VI here.

Did it solve your problem ?

Greetings and Regards,
James
Message 2 of 18
(5,992 Views)

Oh yes...it did. This is the kind of functionality I was looking for ...much better than opening in a container inside of the VI. Thanks.

One query : This opens a PDF based on the path provided. Suppose I want this standalone to use repeatedly and keep viewing various PDF files ( one at a time of course ) how do I proceed ? What I plan to do is to ask the user enter a 4 character file name , I will then try and search the matching PDF from the collection in a folder and then display it. Once the user is done with this PDF, he closes it and the process starts again....

Raghunathan
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(5,985 Views)

Hello,

I modified the VI by reinitializing the Path to it's default value. Like that you will be able to upload as many PDF files as you want.

Was that query?

Greetings and Regards,
James
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(5,968 Views)

Thanks... but I am yet to move to LV2016... could you please save it for LV2015 and repost ??

Raghunathan
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(5,963 Views)

Of course,

Smiley Happy

Greetings and Regards,
James
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(5,960 Views)

Looks like it really did not save to previous version ??

Capture.PNG

Raghunathan
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(5,952 Views)

Here are two converted versions.

If it doesn't work, please tell me.

Have a nice week endSmiley Very Happy

Greetings and Regards,
James
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(5,950 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MogaRaghu

Sorry,
I have LV 2016, after I converted it to LV 2015, I opened it for check, but I clicked on Save..
Which automatically saved it to LV2016 again.

Sorry for that. Smiley Sad

Greetings and Regards,
James
Message 9 of 18
(5,945 Views)

No issues...these things do happen !!

Yes its working as required now... let me work on it and convert it to the functionality that I need bringing in search option for user. Will post back here when complete. 

Thanks for your time. Have a great weekend !

Raghunathan
Message 10 of 18
(5,939 Views)