LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussion: LabVIEW and processor cores usage.

Solved!
Go to solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author rajiv85

@rajiv85 wrote:

I have a question regarding the utilisation of the Cores of a processor, next gen PC's will be having 16 or even higher core numbers..

How does LV use those cores or does it not?

What are the programming strategies to take maximum advantages of the cores?

I remember when multicore was just coming out and every other programming article I saw was "how do we use this multicore capability?"  I just went up to my NI rep and asked him how we use multiple cores in LabVIEW.  His answer was "just program things to run in parallel."  My response was "so I don't have to do anything different."  LabVIEW has been multithreaded longer than I have been using it (~15 years now).  All cores will be utilized assuming you actually write your program to use parallel loops.  A simple state machine will probably not utilize many cores (likely everything will be serialized into a single thread for the code and then another thread or two for the UI and "root loop").

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 11 of 14
(743 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@rajiv85 wrote:

I have a question regarding the utilisation of the Cores of a processor, next gen PC's will be having 16 or even higher core numbers..

How does LV use those cores or does it not?

What are the programming strategies to take maximum advantages of the cores?

I remember when multicore was just coming out and every other programming article I saw was "how do we use this multicore capability?"  I just went up to my NI rep and asked him how we use multiple cores in LabVIEW.  His answer was "just program things to run in parallel."  My response was "so I don't have to do anything different."  LabVIEW has been multithreaded longer than I have been using it (~15 years now).  All cores will be utilized assuming you actually write your program to use parallel loops.  A simple state machine will probably not utilize many cores (likely everything will be serialized into a single thread for the code and then another thread or two for the UI and "root loop").

That's the beauty of LabVIEW - the less you futz with it, the more efficient it becomes.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(725 Views)

off topic

h4986jj5t4q11

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(694 Views)

Thank you very much for the responses!!!

So this would mean the more cores a CPU has we just need to run more loops in parallel and it will become more efficient..Simple and brilliant enough! 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(654 Views)