cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable clicking on the main scream when the sub-VI is called

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

When I open the front panel of sub-VI from my main window (by using SubVI Node Setup > Show front panel when called), if I click a button (or something else) on the main window, it will still work after I close the subVI window. Is it possible to completely disable the clicking on the not used window  when the sub-VI is called (two windows opened at the same time)?

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,352 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author IanYuan

Check the settings of the subVI to make it modal.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,343 Views)

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,336 Views)

Just be careful when using modal windows.  You can get into a situation where your main and subVI are deadlocked and nothing can be done to exit.  Ctrl+. does not work.  Usually requires Ctrl+Alt+Del and you lose any unsaved work. 

I'm not aware if this has been addressed somehow in newer versions of Labview.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,267 Views)

Another option is to use the Transparency property to hide the calling vi.

Like this:

Transparency.png

This might give a cleaner look depending on the situation.

You can also do both (use partial Transparency) to make it clear that the background vi is inactive.

In general, I avoid Modal vis (aputman makes a good point - been there), but sometimes they are the best solution.

steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,254 Views)