From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable clicking on the main scream when the sub-VI is called

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

When I open the front panel of sub-VI from my main window (by using SubVI Node Setup > Show front panel when called), if I click a button (or something else) on the main window, it will still work after I close the subVI window. Is it possible to completely disable the clicking on the not used window  when the sub-VI is called (two windows opened at the same time)?

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,372 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author IanYuan

Check the settings of the subVI to make it modal.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,363 Views)

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,356 Views)

Just be careful when using modal windows.  You can get into a situation where your main and subVI are deadlocked and nothing can be done to exit.  Ctrl+. does not work.  Usually requires Ctrl+Alt+Del and you lose any unsaved work. 

I'm not aware if this has been addressed somehow in newer versions of Labview.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,287 Views)

Another option is to use the Transparency property to hide the calling vi.

Like this:

Transparency.png

This might give a cleaner look depending on the situation.

You can also do both (use partial Transparency) to make it clear that the background vi is inactive.

In general, I avoid Modal vis (aputman makes a good point - been there), but sometimes they are the best solution.

steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,274 Views)