LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Directly convert the analog signals into digital without passing through FPGA

To whom it may concern,

I am using a SCB-68 board R-series and I have a couple of technical questions:

In my system at the moment 8 analog channels are connected to the 8 input analog ports and then data are sent to a FPGA (PXI system 7852R). I am planning now to add other 4 channels to the system. Since over the total 12 channels I just need a very fast acquisition mode (using the FPGA) for 6 of them, while the other 6 can be sampled in a ms scale, I was wondering if you can suggest me something that I can use to directly convert the analog signals into digital and in this way used many unused digital signals provided with this model.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(2,880 Views)

you can use an R-series expansion module with that board to increase the number of analog channels brought into the FPGA.  use the appropriate c-series module to collect the rest of the channels in the expansion module.  this expansion module connects to one of the digital conectors of the fpga board

Stu
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(2,860 Views)

Thanks for your answer.

Since I am having a hard time to understand which models are compatible with my system, could you please help me with this and suggest me the appropriate R-series expansion module and c-series module?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(2,854 Views)

NI 9151

SHC68-68-RDIO cable

NI 9205 or one of the others as appropirate

Stu
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(2,848 Views)

Hi

if you want to know how do you configure the R Series expansion Chassis NI 9151 for Use with an R series device just go to:

How Do I Configure the R Series Expansion Chassis for Use with an R Series Device?

What Type of Cable Should I Use to Connect to My NI 9151 Expansion Chassis?

I hope this will help

Kind regards,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(2,835 Views)

Thanks to both of you for the answer.

I have some doubts on the solution proposed by Stu McFarlane. As C-series, I figured out, I would need more than 4 channels, 16 bit of resolution, no matter what kS/s and screw terminals.

Two possible solutions can be:

1) NI 9206 (32 channels).

I read that I should use the NI 9917 chassis instead of NI 9151. Is it still compatible with the PXI 7852R system? 

2) NI 9215 x 2 (4 channels x 2= 8 channels).

Can I connect to the NI 9151 chassis 2 NI 9215 elements?

Which solution would you suggest among the 2?

Moreover, whenever I choose the screw terminals connectivity, I am not sure if I should select front mounted accessories or cable accessories. Both of the solution are showing me a schematic of the system that doesn't seems to me to be the correct one.

I thought that I had to have a system composed by:

software + pc + PXI + cable + chassis + C-series module

Is it correct??

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(2,826 Views)

Where did you read that I should use the NI 9917 chassis instead of NI 9151? The NI 9917 is an industrial enclosures house which protect CompactRIO sytems from harsh and dirty environments.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(2,821 Views)

yes it is correct, what do you need is:

software + (pc) + PXI + cable + chassis + C-series module

With embedded controllers, there’s no need for an external PC

With PXI remote control kits, you can control PXI systems directly from desktops, laptops, or server computers.

What Is PXI?

To configure a complete PXI System please go to: Build Your PXI System

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(2,819 Views)

sorry 😉

I mean:  Where did you read that you should use the NI 9917 chassis instead of NI 9151?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(2,817 Views)

If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to contact National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(2,806 Views)