LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dipping my Toes in 64-bit LabVIEW

I recently got a new Laptop to replace my aging XPS.  Of course I installed LabVIEW on it, but to keep things "simple" and use a little less SSD space, I chose to only install LabVIEW 2021 (32-bit), plus the other Bells and Whistles that I use, including LabVIEW Real-Time, cRIO, and LabVIEW Vision.

I've been using 32-bit LabVIEW since LabVIEW 7.0, at least (in part) to be compatible with my colleagues, and because I didn't "need" the 64-bit memory space.  But as I now have a nice shiny (and uncluttered) new Laptop, I thought it would be a good time to venture into the LabVIEW-64 world, which would allow me to see if I should anticipate any problems as LabVIEW "transitions" to a 64-bit model.

Can I just go to the Web Site and say "Install LabVIEW 2021 (64-bit)?  I'm assuming that the other components (Real-Time, FPGA, Drivers, Add-Ons) are installed for both 32 and 64-bit versions (I recall seeing mention of both during Installations and "Un-Installations", but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll follow up (after some advice) with How It All Went.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,034 Views)

I installed 64-bit LV yesterday. Did it through NIPM. No issues with the install or the app I needed it for.

Don't know about Real-time and FPGA, but other components could be checked and unchecked to install, just like usual.

NI recommends 32-bit unless/until you know you need 64-bit. More info here:

knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000kIctSAE&l

I never needed 64-bit until yesterday when an old app loaded a large data-file with a not so efficient home-made file format and ran out of memory... 

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(1,026 Views)

The https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000kIctSAE&l article is from 2019.  See https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/supplemental/18/labview-32-bit-vs--64-bit-application... for an article from 2021.

Since 2019 we have been using 64-bit as the default.

LabVIEW FPGA development has been supported in 64-bit LabVIEW since 2018; interfacing goes back further.

R Series and cRIO do not have 64-bit support but FlexRIO and RF devices do.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(1,012 Views)

@thols wrote:

Don't know about Real-time and FPGA, but other components could be checked and unchecked to install, just like usual.

NI recommends 32-bit unless/until you know you need 64-bit. More info here:

knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000kIctSAE&l

Real-Time is supposed to have 64-bit support as of LabVIEW 2021.  I am not sure what targets are supported.

FPGA has a very limit subset of targets that are supported in 64-bit LabVIEW.  As far as I am aware, this is a driver issue, not LabVIEW.

There is an effort in NI to push everybody to 64-bit.  I get questions fairly often from NI about why I am not using LabVIEW 64-bit.  My current response is "cRIO support".

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(1,010 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(970 Views)

Thanks for the comments.  As it happens, two "targets" I'm working with are the myRIO (for which the latest "Toolkit" is still 2019, though a 2021 version is rumored to be released in Q1) and the sbRIO (which, I'm assuming, is similar in requirements to a cRIO).  Maybe I'll build a VM and try doing the installation there (though getting access to the RIOs may prove "interesting", even problematic ...).

Can you say "LabVIEW 2022 Beta"?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(952 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

Thanks for the comments.  As it happens, two "targets" I'm working with are the myRIO (for which the latest "Toolkit" is still 2019, though a 2021 version is rumored to be released in Q1) and the sbRIO (which, I'm assuming, is similar in requirements to a cRIO).  Maybe I'll build a VM and try doing the installation there (though getting access to the RIOs may prove "interesting", even problematic ...).

I'm fairly sure that won't work.  You might be able to install the runtime engine, but from my testing on a RT cDAQ I couldn't install DAQmx, VISA, or really any software in MAX other than the basics.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(944 Views)

I have been using 64 bit as my primary version for several years now and it works great. Granted, I don't use RIO's much so it's not a problem there.

I switched because I couldn't get the Office toolkit to work in 32 bit anymore and haven't noticed a difference. The only time it's been an issue is once when I needed to do some shenanigans with a direct memory address access Xnode, and it didn't work with 64 bit.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(923 Views)

@BertMcMahan wrote:

I have been using 64 bit as my primary version for several years now and it works great. Granted, I don't use RIO's much so it's not a problem there.

I switched because I couldn't get the Office toolkit to work in 32 bit anymore and haven't noticed a difference. The only time it's been an issue is once when I needed to do some shenanigans with a direct memory address access Xnode, and it didn't work with 64 bit.

Once upon a time, some of the primitives compiled erroneously in 64-bit LabVIEW, but that was ages ago.  It's been around long enough that I'm sure those kinds of bugs are long ago taken care of.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(909 Views)