LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital output giving a high signal when off (NI6323 / SCB-68A)

Hello,

I'm using a NI-6323 card connected to a SCB-68A board to control a motor using a digital output.

I'm facing an issue when turning off my computer : I actually get a high level (5V) in the Dout and the motor starts running by itself. It looks like the pin is set as a pull-up.

Is there a way to set it as a pull-down?

Did anybody face the same problem?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,020 Views)

Hello,

I'm using a NI-6323 card connected to a SCB-68A board to control a motor using a digital output.

I'm facing an issue when turning off my computer : I actually get a high level (5V) in the Dout and the motor starts running by itself. It looks like the pin is set as a pull-up.

Is there a way to set it as a pull-down?

Did anybody face the same problem?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,018 Views)

Hi CE,

@CE-EM wrote:

I'm facing an issue when turning off my computer : I actually get a high level (5V) in the Dout and the motor starts running by itself. It looks like the pin is set as a pull-up. Is there a way to set it as a pull-down?

According to the specsheet: no.

Why is the motor still powered when you switch off the computer?

Is there no safety circuit in your testbench? This would be the proper way to handle such situations!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,994 Views)

Thank you for your answer, I understand that I should have safety circuit to avoid any moving parts.
However my questions was more about how to configure the digital output as a pull down to avoid getting a high level on the output when turning off my computer.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,922 Views)

Hi CE,

@CE-EM wrote:

However my questions was more about how to configure the digital output as a pull down to avoid getting a high level on the output when turning off my computer.

Options I can imagine:

• Add a safety circuit to enable the testbench only when your computer/executable is actively switching a DO to FALSE
  • Wire an additional resistor from DO to GND as a pull-down.
  • Switch off the computer as last part of your testbench…
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,911 Views)

@CE-EM wrote:

This is something that has to be fixed in hardware.  Add a buffer circuit.  There are many buffer chips out there that include an enable line (commonly active low).  You can then add a pull-down resistor on the buffer output going to your motor controller.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,897 Views)