LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital IO and analog AI

I am using LabVIEW version 7.0. I did two programs, one for data acquisition, the other operating a solenoid through digital output to trigger the data acquisition. I first start the data acquisition program and wait the solenoid signal. However, the digital output program is inhabited with the data acquisition program on. If I stop the data acquisition program, it works fine. What would possibly be the reason? Thank you in advance if somebody can help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,316 Views)
Normally you shouldn't have any problem doing DIO whilst AI is operating - I think you will have to attach the two example pieces of code for us to see, otherwise it will be very difficult to guess where the problem may be.

P.S. I think you probably meant to say "inhibited" rather than "inhabited"?
Message 2 of 9
(3,310 Views)

Thanks Mark. Yes, ‘inhibited’ rather than ‘inhabited’ J

Attached please find the two programs. DIO is straightforward with NI-7334; for the AI program, I use four ADLINK 2204 cards working simultaneously. Signals are basically impulse type. I just aquire the data and do a FFT to get the power spectrum density for 4 channels.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,296 Views)

I have tried using 1, 2, or 3 ADLINK cards simultaneously logging. The DIOs are all working. However, I use 4 cards at the same time, all DIOs stop working. As I need all the four cards in my application, what should I do?

All the digital I/O are hooked up with PCI 7334 stepper motor controller. Can I use MAX manually operate digital I/O to switch on and off the solenoid?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,281 Views)

Hi

This could be a hardware problem. What speed are you acquiring at? If it is at a high rate you might just be using up your PCI bus bandwidth. Check the resources for you cards in device manager and see what IRQ and DMA recourses you are using.

Regards

Tim

AE NI UK and Ireland Technical Support

Message 5 of 9
(3,269 Views)

Many thanks, Tim

The scanning rate of the DAQ cards can be up to 1MHz. I set 100kHz.

I checked the IRQ according to your instruction, I found the DAQ cards are  17, 18,19, and 16, respectively. And the PCI 7334 card is also 16.  It says no conflict. I guess, this is the problem?? Can I make change to IRQ settings ? And how? Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,260 Views)
i attached a picture showing the device manager the of pc
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,252 Views)

I have tried unplugging the cards and placing in different slots. The PCI 7334 always shares its IRQ with one of the 2204 Cards, although for example IRQ 11 is never used. And they cannot be working at the same time. Under ACPI HAL, I cannot assign an IRQ number to the cards, as the ‘use automatic setting’ is greyed out. I did a little search on internet, windows does not recommend changing from ACPI to standard pc type http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;237556 . Anybody has any idea? And does this will solve my problem if i make this change. Thanks a lot!!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,230 Views)

Hi

I’m not recommending this but you could try turning off your plug and play OS support in your bios which should allow windows to assign its own IRQ levels which means you should be able to assign them. You could also try changing your CD to PIO mode this will seriously reduce the speed you will be able to use it at but it might free up a DMA channel. I think in windows 98 you can assign your own DMA channels.

You could try Windows 98, as this supports LabVIEW 7.0 and allows you to assign your own IRQ levels and memory ranges

Regards

Tim

AE NI UK and Ireland Technical Support

Message 9 of 9
(3,214 Views)