From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different Screen Resolutions - What is the best method?

Solved!
Go to solution

@process Systems wrote:

One option that so far has not been considered is to use the tail to wag the dog. What I do is design my UI, and use a call to the WIN API to force the screen to the resolution that I have authored my UI to fit. Needless to say, to use this method, you write to the lowest reasonable common denominator. After all, if you are writing the software, then you should be allowed to select the screen resolution that it runs on!

The only issue I have found that is not addressed in this way is different aspect ratios. The laptop I write on is a 16 x 9, and some of my customers use the older "square" fit screens. I always make sure I know what the user's display aspect ration is going to be (when possible).

Some food for thought,

Have a nice day,

Dave

I LOVE that sentiment!  Unfortunatly it is not realisticSmiley Tongue The darn users EXPECT a LabVIEW app to be like any other app and scale the panel according to the users preference.  (Dang users-- software would be easier to write if there were no users) But, I do want to bump the thread= I'm very interested in hearing a "best practice" discourse on this topic.  This is another instance of the style guide limiting adoption of LabVIEW as a real programming language and IMHO this question needs exposure.  My input?  IDK! Smiley SurprisedSmiley Surprised

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 21 of 23
(1,117 Views)

Ben

Thanks for all your attention. 

My data cluster lives in a control file (not a .vi file) and this control is a strict type def.

I have no raceconditions because data is write and read to/from the data cluster by subvis controlled by a state machine.

Can I keep using my Data Cluster like that?

Thanks.

Dan07

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 23
(1,045 Views)

Ben

Thanks for all your attention. 

My data cluster lives in a control file (not a .vi file) and this control is a strict type def.

I have no raceconditions because data is write and read to/from the data cluster by subvis controlled by a state machine.

Can I keep using my Data Cluster like that?

Thanks.

Dan07

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 23
(1,022 Views)