LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Queue and Notifier , how it use in LAbview Programming

What difference between Queue and Notifier , how it use in LAbview Programming?

please exaplain?

Manohar

Message 1 of 16
(23,055 Views)

The main difference is that a Queue is a FIFO and a Notifier is a single value.  So a Queue is typically used for a Many-to-One communication (many writers and 1 reader) while a Notifier is typically used for a One-to-Many communication (1 writer, many readers).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 16
(23,044 Views)

... and since this is a plain LabVIEW question, posting in the counter/timer forum seems misplaced. What was your reason to post here? Is there more to your question?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(23,037 Views)
Adding to crossluz comments,Please check this thread also http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/User-Events-vs-Queues-vs-Notifiers/td-p/1289138
Thanks
uday
Message 4 of 16
(22,997 Views)

Thanx to all ....Smart and helpfull info...

Message 5 of 16
(22,959 Views)

Thanks.....

Nice explanation.... So , i can use use Notifiers to control Multiple Loops with a single Command and using queue can record all the data from many loops to single variable... is this statement correct?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(21,503 Views)

@Sri.VI wrote:

Thanks.....

Nice explanation.... So , i can use use Notifiers to control Multiple Loops with a single Command and using queue can record all the data from many loops to single variable... is this statement correct?

That is one way to put it.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(21,463 Views)

I realize this is an old topic, but thought I would ask a question......

If I am using a serial connection (COM Port) and I want a few VI's running in parallel that access that said COM port, should I use Queue or Notifier? Obviously, the COM port can only be accessed one at a time,

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(15,083 Views)

Just Adding Points in my VIEW

Notifier Follows a broadcasting Mechanism where N Number of listeners Receive the value until the new value is written, where Queue Does not follow broadcasting mechanism as the Queued Value is De Queued once, then the value wont be available for other listeners.

One better option is create a FGV and hold the COM PORT Ref in the FGV and can be used wherever needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(15,074 Views)

A Queue is good for N to 1 communications where every value must be processed.

A Notifier is good for N to N communications where only the latest value matters.

An Action Engine would be a good route to go as well.  The AE can have actions for initializing the port, a simple write command, a query (write and then read the response), and close the port.  This would help make sure your transactions are protected from being interrupted by other processes trying to access that serial port.

GCentral
Message 10 of 16
(15,058 Views)