LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did NI recently change how Labview's license works?

None of us can say if upgrading to a new operating system should or shouldn't change the Computer ID, the generation of this isn't public knowledge.  I'd hope upgrading an OS wouldn't change the ID but if NI chimes in and says it could then that would explain why the license expired.  I've never seen this before, but upgrading an OS can change all kinds of things in the registry and it is possible the ID is derived from something in there.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(678 Views)

@old_fart 

I would recommend calling into the NI support line and opening a service request. We would need to look at your Serial Number to see if there is anything with the license that we help with. The support line is 

1 (800) 531-5066

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(637 Views)

For the sake of your primary concern, let's engage in a quick thought experiment. 

You're concerned that PCs without internet access might get a LV update that affects the licensing and requires a phone home.  I haven't noticed this.  But, let's say that change did take place.

How would it impact these PCs?  They're not connected to the internet.  How would LV know to update the licensing model?  It wouldn't know to update until it connected to the internet (not that I'm aware of any updates that come in a way other than update service and you'd really be worried about License Manager updating more so than LV).

Your disconnected PCs should be fine.  And if not, you can either go to www.ni.com/activate and generate codes for them to activate them offline or you can call in and get help doing so.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(620 Views)

My concern is with ANYTHING that would cause LabVIEW to abruptly stop working and require an internet link to get it working again as I have just seen happen with this PC.   I never stated that I was using a PC that was never connected to the internet. 

Again, obviously I can reactivate the license once I have internet access.  That was never in question.  The problem is being in a remote location and have LabVIEW lock me out over a license problem and no grace period.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(609 Views)

You have some valid concerns but I think most people wouldn't run into this issue because the off site, no internet PC isn't going to be the development PC, and so you would just be running an application that you built, which wouldn't require a LabVIEW license to run anything.  Create an EXE, create an installer, and then install your software on as many offline (or limited network) PCs as you want.

Normally I'd also say something to the effect of installing any new software can change your system in unpredictable ways, and to not automatically install new software until you've evaluated its effects on your system...but Windows 10 is making it harder and harder to not automatically install updates.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(604 Views)

I have the license for the application builder and do put it to use and it works fine.  However, it does not help me when I need to make changes in the field. 

Obviously testing any updates is important but if you read my posts you would find that while there were upgrades they happened some time before LabVIEW lock out.   Again, it's the fact that their license system locked me out with no grace period or warning that concerns me.   This should NEVER happen.  

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(597 Views)