LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device name in NI MAX getting erased or reset

Hi all, 

I have a Profibus module in my PXI system and I'm calling it's reference with the name PROFIBUS, at some instance the name entered in the NI MAX card details getting erased and affecting my communication? Is there any reason for this behavior?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,670 Views)

Hello,

May I know exactly at what instance, it happens?

It would be helpful if you give some more information on your problem.

Regards,

Karthiga.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,626 Views)

I don't have any exact scenario here, that's the problem. The NI MAX database is good (I didn't get any error message), the hardware is not changed or there's no error message stating something wrong in NI MAX. Only the name in NI MAX for Profibus is getting erased.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,620 Views)

Which version of NI MAX are you using?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,609 Views)

NI MAX 5.5, LV 2012 SP1

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,603 Views)

First, check whether your hardware is compatible with the NI MAX version or not.

As a next option,  

--> Export the configuration database backup file. (save it as .nce file)

--> Reset configuration data (NI MAX -> Tools -> Reset Configuration data)

--> Import the backup file again and check.

Consider this link (http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2C7480E856987FFF862573AE005AB0D9)

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Karthiga.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,596 Views)

Hi, 

I hope NI MAX don't have compatible issues since it can find the hardware and populate its settings I don't suspect there's an issue with version.

I have already done this step long before and believed that the NI MAX corrupted during the first occurrence. Since the scenario happened more than once I hope there's something else I'm missing.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,577 Views)

Hi, how did you solve the problem? 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(1,344 Views)

Same here.. have this at a system in run-time. LV2019.

System should have all automatic updates disabled as it is running in test equipment.

In this case it is a Keithley DMM connected via USB.

5-12-2022 and 18-5-2023 the name label went blank for no appearent reason. System is running for a few years without any issue.

Usually the system is always on but in these case the PC may have been restarted.

Anyone has any idea?

---

25+ years long fan of LabVIEW. Be aware that NI changed their business model with great impact .
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(914 Views)

Hi @beuvink,

Here is what happened to my case: 

Some drivers of the device I was using was backdated. So, NI MAX crashed, sometimes after PC reboot, other times just NI MAX crashed without any reboot of PC. 

Here is how I solved them:

1. I downloaded and installed latest drivers for the device I was using. I am not sure this solved my problem entirely. But, it surely reduced my problem. 

2. I also made some changes to Windows Services. Following are the details why and how to make that changes. 

When a service fails to start for any hardware or driver issues, by default Windows takes “no action.” After updating the drivers, if NI MAX still wipes out any interface in “Drivers and Interfaces,” the following steps should resolve the issue. I recommend making these changes if you have multiple hardwares connected even if you have updated drivers. These steps will only restart a service if NI MAX crash happens. You can also choose from the following actions based on your need. 
i. Click on Start and search for “Services”
ii. Allow access to open all services
iii. Scroll down and locate “NI Device Loader” and “NI Configuration Manager”
iv. Double click on “NI Device Loader” and click on “Recovery” option in the Menu bar
v. Select the Computer’s action if the service fails to “Restart the Service” for the “First failure”, “Second failure”, and “Subsequent failure”
vi. Repeat steps (iv) and (v) for “NI Configuration Manager”

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(901 Views)