From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device descriptor ERROR -1073807174

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm trying to get a stepmotor controller* working in LabVIEW.  This device does not advertise that it works in LabVIEW ,but I thought it will work out.  When I run the driver wizard I get this error.

ERROR-1073807174 : Device descriptor error - unexpected DescriptorType (expected USB_STRING_DESCRIPTOR)

The device is not from NI ,so it needs something to do. 

What do I do to get this controller working? I use labview 7.1.

*Stepmotor controller is "MNET-PUSB",NPM product.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,563 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author niwasuke221
The big mistake is using the driver wizard. Never do that unless you actually have all of the low level USB protocol information. What driver comes with the device? Attach it's manual or a link.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,542 Views)

There are many reasons behind your problem of descriptor request failed. one of the major problems is with your USB ports. if you have damaged USB ports or OS can't detect then you'll get the device descriptor request failed error. If you want to get rid of this problem I recommend you to update your drivers first.

You can manually download and install all the USB related drivers, Also, there are many tools which are helpful in updating drivers.

If still in error, you should check if all the USB ports are working well or not. If they're not working well this clearly means you'll get device malfunctioned or descriptor failed error.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,756 Views)

I ran into the same issue with my gpib devices which are not from NI, how did you solve this issue??, i cannot get NI-VISA Driver Wizard to work

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,766 Views)

Normally you don't need the NI VISA Driver Wizard for a GPIB device.  If it's SCPI-compatible, it's pretty easy to roll your own drivers.  If it's not, it may be a bit more difficult.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,739 Views)

This error is from trying to use NI-VISA with a USB connected device. Where does GPIB come in here? What device is this? Please give more information. What you have provided so far makes not a lot of sense and is totally inadequate to even start to guess what sort of problem you may have.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,729 Views)

Hello,

I have NI 4350 usb-temperature and voltage meter. I am trying to use NI-MAX as the software. But NI-4350 is not recognized as NI-MAX says that "Windows does not have a driver associated with your device.". So that's why I download NI-VISA. I got errors  ERROR -1073807174 & 1073807178. I don't understand what is wrong with the drivers?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,185 Views)

This is a device from 25 years ago. https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/321566a/page/download.html

It is accessed through the very old NI-DAQ driver. This driver was discontinued around 2005 and while it can still be downloaded it was never updated to work properly for Windows 7, to not talk about Windows 10 or beyond. There were some installation tricks to make it work for Windows 7 but they likely will not be sufficient for Windows 10, especially if it is 64 bit.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,177 Views)

Thank you so much. If I find Windows 7, which NI-VISA driver or NI-DAQxm driver version should I download?  The date is not specified on the label of my NI-4350 device. If you know can you tell me about these installation tricks or direct me somewhere? I would really appreciate your help and comments.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,165 Views)

I did not say anything about NI-VISA or NI-DAQmx. It is called NI-DAQ, later renamed to Traditional NI-DAQ to make the difference a little more clear. It's a very different thing!

Traditional NI-DAQ version 7.5 is supposed to support Windows 7 32-bit, but it officially never left Beta status. If it works it works, if it doesn't you are on your own. There is no support whatsoever for this anymore.

https://www.ni.com/nl-nl/support/documentation/compatibility/22/traditional-ni-daq--legacy--windows-...

http://download.ni.com/support/softlib/multifunction_daq/traditionalnidaq/7.4/readme.html

http://download.ni.com/#support/daq/pc/ni-daq/traditional/

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 10 of 10
(2,159 Views)