From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Develop on PC, transfer to 9132?

Hi All, 

I am new to using the 9132 w/WinCE but for security and simplicity it seemed a great solution.  This question I have is...my LV PDS is installed on my desktop PC and I have been developing my app waiting for hardware.  I now have hardware (9132 and DIO) that I want to drive using my app.  How can I continue development on my PC?  Don't want to finish this on the 9132 due to temp LV license and small monitor, etc.  Can I use a couple cDAQ-9171 chassis for my DIO and when app is complete transfer the executable to the 9132?

Thanks much in advance!

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,973 Views)

Yes - but there are things to consider (some not unique to this situation, but to built applications in general):

• bitness of the executable and Windows OS
  • external dependencies and read/write permissions for files in default directories
  • any kind of network communication the application might do - can the same network locations be reached by the 9132, firewall permissions, etc. 
  • hardware configuration/module discovery (if you hard-coded the chassis and module name to be cDAQ1Mod1\ai0 and then deplyed that application, be sure that the module is named the same thing in MAX on the target. Better yet, deply the MAX config with the application, or even better - if there's only one DIO module, use the NI System Configuration API to auto-discover the module so that it will work if the module is named anything or placed in any slot)

Basically, the more complex the executable is, the more things there will be to consider. But otherwise, it's no different than building an .exe on one PC and running it on another. 

Nathan Murphy
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,948 Views)

Hi Nathan

Thanks for your response.  I am now moving my executable (built using LV18 64bit on my 64bit Win 7 OS) to my 9132 with a 32bit Win 7 embedded OS.  

I don't see anything in the properties tab during the build that allows me to set anything related to the bitness of the OS.  Am I helically wound on an incline plane about a central axis?

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,832 Views)

Yes, you won't be able to execute a 64-bit application on a 32-bit computer. This is not an issue with LabVIEW or with your environment or anything specific to this situation. It's a rule of nature.

Something important to understand is that source code isn't tied to bitness - but the objects that get built from the source code are. Source code can be compiled into a 32 or 64-bit application. Like you noticed, LabVIEW Application Builder doesn't support building a different bitness other than what the ADE is. In order for this to work, you would need both the 32 and 64-bit LabVIEW compilers installed. Want to guess how to get the compiler installed? 

You'll want to install 32-bit LabVIEW on your computer and re-build the application using that ADE. Your serial number for 64-bit can also be used to activate 32-bit, so no issues there. Your application should still work if these two things are true:

1. All third-party and NI addons, drivers, toolkits, etc. (dependencies) have corresponding 32-bit versions

2. Your application won't be limited by the lack of addressable memory (if you're running on an NI 9132 then I highly doubt this will be an issue). 

-Nate

Nathan Murphy
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,826 Views)