LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determining number of physical channels on 3rd party hardware

Hello all,

I'm working on a program for measuring analog and thermocouple inputs on a USB-1616HS/AI-EXP48 from Measurement Computing. Overall we've been very pleased with the sampling rate and flexibility, but there's a desired feature that's been giving me trouble. I'd like an operator to be able to set up physical channel assignments from the front panel (in the 2 physical channels selectors), and then perform some operations based on number of channels. For example, operator selects whether each channel is disabled, a TC input, or one of several different transducer models with 0-5V output. Column headings in my recording file would then be created automatically at startup, pressure readings from raw V readings would be calculated, and also a quick check that the same physical channels are not assigned as both AI and TC inputs (currently possible with 2 different channel selectors).

Current options:

1) Flatten to string both channel selections, then analyze for both number and which unique channels are used by both. Check for overlap before any sampling occurs, and make column headers in sequence. 

2) Use static starting positions (i.e. start at exactly channel 0 up to 15 inclusive for TC, then exactly 16 up to 31 for AI), selected by operator starting at 2 specific channels and populating consecutively. Select from premade constants stored to physical channels input.

3) Build channel assignments string piecemeal from enum entries per channel, then create IO channels input by unflattening that string somehow. Not 100% sure this is possible honestly.

4) Use property node measurement, as shown here.

Not sure that would work since DAQmx isn't used with an MCC daq box.

Adding to the complication, I want operator input names for channels (TC and transducer position names), and also the abililty to save and load setup profiles. Hopefully I've explained my situation adequately. Any advice would be appreciated before I plunge forward with option 2.

Thanks,
Mark

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,644 Views)

Would something like this attached example VI work. This example allows the user to pick which thermocouple channels they would like to monitor prior to run-time. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,571 Views)

Hello A_Hint_From_Trent,

Ah, my mistake. I'm on 2015, not 16. If you'd care to retro save it I'd eagerly take a look.

Thanks,
Mark

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,566 Views)

Yeah of course here is the 2015 version of the example.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,562 Views)

Excellent, thanks.

I'm not sure when I'll be back at this project. Might be relatively soon, as it comes in fits and starts. Your offer is definitely appreciated though. Will poke around and see if that could work out.

Good luck out there,
Mark

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,532 Views)