From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determine Runtime version being utilized / required for an exe

hello,

i have a bunch of labview executibles which were written in labview versions

i dont have the source code, i can see the shared\run-time-engine folder containing 6.0 to 2012 versions of run-time engines installed.

how do i determine which labview programs above is using what version of run-time engine?

Appreciate help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,556 Views)

I don't have older executable files on my PC, but at least LabVIEW 2011 and 2013. I noticed that those executable files always contain a string starting with http://www.ni.com/rteFinder?dest=lvrte then 2 NUL characters, LabVIEW, another NUL character andf the version, for example 2011 or 2013.

Check it out, if you can open the executable with an editor which can load binary file. I am using BowPad

Nick

Message 2 of 7
(4,552 Views)

I remember writing a VI that did that.  Just can't seem to find it now.

But the other way to figure out is to try to run the executable with no runtime engine installed.  It should tell you which version of the runtime engine is needed.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,527 Views)

Also, if you run the application, you can often do a "menu...help...about" and you'll get the information.

(... assuming that this menu entry has not been customized away. I typically leave it in for exactly that reason). 😉

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,502 Views)

I've had success looking at what DLLs are being used when the EXE is running using Dependency Walker.  Also you can open the EXE in a hex editor.  Here is some more info.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Get-LabVIEW-RTE-version-of-an-already-built-EXE/idi-p/...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,455 Views)

help-->about  is giving only the labview version, no run-time engine info

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,433 Views)

@freemason wrote:

help-->about  is giving only the labview version, no run-time engine info

Since the runtime engine can only run executables built in the same major version, the information is sufficient.

The runtime engine is still labview, just not the development environment.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,429 Views)