From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determine RFID Tag Distance

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello guys,

As hinted in the title, i am implementing my own RFID system for automatic inventory control. The reader i have does not return a RSSI index, so i cannot compute distance to tag based on this. I figured i can get that distance by computing the time it takes for the radio wave to reach the tag and back. I have attached a part of my code that writes and reads to a serial port using VISA vis. I would like to know if there is a way to get the time when labview actually starts writing to the port, and when it starts reading back the response?

Is this remotely possible?

Thank you,

Fadi 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,724 Views)

Can't say I think it'll work. You're trying to rely on the speed of the comms through the CPU and OS to determine something that should be measured by a power level. OS/CPU speed vs radiowaves is not going to be very reliable at all. I'd give up straight away. If it's a must, change the H/W.

CLD; LabVIEW since 8.0, Currently have LabVIEW 2015 SP1, 2018SP1 & 2020 installed
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,710 Views)

Hello Sir,

If i can get that time between signal sending and signal reading i think it might work. Reader is operating at a fixed frequency and serial port baud rate is fixed as well. But i do need a very precise timing of the 2 actions.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,705 Views)

Hi fadihajj,

rough estimation for a distance of 10m:

travel time := 2*10m / 3e8 m/s = 6.7e-8 s = 67ns

Time it takes to transfer just one byte over a serial port at 19.2kbaud:

transfer time := 10 bits / 19200 bits/s = 5.2e-4 s = 0.52ms

What exactly do you want to measure? 😄

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,703 Views)

Hello sir,

i want to calculate the distance between the reader and tag.  In my case this is not possible throught signal strength because the reader does not calculate it. So i am trying to achieve this by calculating the time between when a command is actually written on the serial port and a response is returned. But it requires accurate timing

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,696 Views)

Hi fadihajj,

So i am trying to achieve this by calculating the time between when a command is actually written on the serial port and a response is returned.

I tried to explain that transferring data over a serial comm takes magnitudes more time than th radio wave to travel between RFID tag and receiver.

With my example above it would take ~20ms to send a command and receive its answer - with a radio wave travel time of <100ns in between. What kind of results do you expect from your experiment?

When you want to measure time intervals that accurate you need to buy DAQ devices capable of such measurements!

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,691 Views)

because the rate of writing and reading data is knowing isn't it possible to get a rough estimate then through calibration the distance can be obtained?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,680 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author fadihajj

Hi fadihajj,

when the jitter introduced by the OS (Windows I guess) is by magnitudes larger than the time interval you want to measure: no, I don't think you will get meaningful results from your setup.

As has been said before…

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 8 of 14
(4,673 Views)

okey, thank you for your time

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,669 Views)

Hi fadihajj ,

As you know  there are two methods  that;

One is measuring time interval, another one is signal magnitude. 

Measuring time is not possible with low speed DAQ devices that lower clock rate than Ghz..Because signal will move at speed of sound and that means 3 ns for 1 meter distance. So if you use Arduino as example that has 16 Mhz clock rate, it means 60ns. In other words, you can not measure small distances at that rate. Maybe if your tag is so far away like km from receiver it can work for it 🙂

Only measuring signal magnitude can work but you need a receiver that measures magnitude of signal . You can use spectrum analyzer that has more than 60db resolution.

Tolgahan ŞUSUR
Applications Engineer
NI Arabia Branch
Turkey
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,635 Views)