From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desgining Digital butterworth filter of Nth order

even though this is not LabView, I am trying my luck here. this is actually related to DSP in matlab.

I want to design a digital butterworth lowpass filter of nth order, with only freedom of choice to user being order of the filter and the cut off frequency, i already have a 1st order low pass.

Code:​

T = 1/(2*pi*this.fc);
            this.A = -1/T;
            this.B = 1/T;
            this.C = 1;
            this.D = 0;

This is a very basic lowpass PT1 filter, i take the state space matrix, descrtize it and apply it to my signal. now i want to extend my library to butterworth. I am trying to use as many minimal matlab commands as possible. So i thought it's better to derive in hand before implementing it. i wanted to know how to deal with damping ratio as the order is progressed.

When i was searching for answer, i came across wiki of butter worth filter:

Butter coefficient

I can just hard code this, but have they considered damping ratio and how do i covert this to state space

OR

i found another way, where i find zeros and poles based on the order of the filter.

% Poles are on the unit circle in the left-half plane.
n = varargin{1} % order of the filter
fc = varargin{2} % cut off frequency
Wn = (fc*2)/Fs % Fs is sampling frequency, normalizing the cut off frequency
z = [];
p = exp(1i*(pi*(1:2:n-1)/(2*n) + pi/2)); %n is the order of the filter
p = [p; conj(p)];
k = real(prod(-p)); %product of an array element´

%When we get zpk, we just convert them to state space.

[a,b,c,d] = zp2ss(z,p,k);

%Now transforming the abcd matrix to the given cut off frequency
[a,b,c,d] = lp2lp(a,b,c,d,Wn);

The only problem is while applying the cut off frequency, '[a,b,c,d] = lp2lp(a,b,c,d,Wn);' should apply normalized one or in rads/sec or just in Hz. Even though i tried all of them still i would like  to ask where i am going wrong

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(3,224 Views)