LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploying to Acer Revo

Has anyone seen a 'missing subVI' error when deploying to a netbox with XP on it? If you have, have you found a work around?
Chris
Practical Physics, LLC
www.practicalphysicsllc.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,814 Views)

Hey Chris,

A missing subVI error is a pretty broad error. It would be helpful to get more information with what you are doing. Do you have a built executable that you are trying to deploy to your XP machine? Does that computer have LabVIEW or at least the run time engine? What VI does LabVIEW say is missing?

This error is most likely caused by the simple fact that your program is trying a use a VI that simply isn't on your system. If you are using subVI's in your program, make sure that you transfer all your subVI's to the new computer. If the error is not caused by a subVI, make sure that your new computer has all the required toolkits and modules installed.

Hope this helps.
-Ben

WaterlooLabs
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,789 Views)

Ben,

The problem seems to be specific to XP Home based systems. I have used this same deployment package to install the executable and LV RTE on XP Pro and Win 7 with no problems. The VIs it is having trouble finding at load time are related to a custom dll. 

The only support required by the exe is the LV RTE. I have tried a mass compile to repair any linkages on the development machine prior to building the exe and installer.

Chris

Chris
Practical Physics, LLC
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,770 Views)

New information... I explicitly included the missing VIs in my build spec (this is all under LV 2009). The new error was that the external function was not found. I then specified the path to the library on the block diagram. Now the VI calling the dll returns an error 42. In LV this is a general error, so I think (hope) it is being generated by the dll.

Chris

Chris
Practical Physics, LLC
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,763 Views)

Hey Chris,

It is likely that this error 42 is being generated by the dll and being passed to any error handling that you have in your executable. Are you only getting this error when running this installation on this particular computer?

Hope this helps.
-Ben

WaterlooLabs
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,754 Views)

It seems to be only on XP Home machines. I have tested it on an XP Home laptop with the same error being returned. I will be meeting with the dll developer on Friday, so maybe we will get to the bottom of it then. I tried installing the C redistributable package on the XP Home machines but that didn't help.

The thing I find interesting from a LabVIEW perspective is that I had to explicitly include the VIs and specify the path to the dll on the block diagram in order to get to the point that the error appears to be coming from the dll. It seems strange that the executable was losing these paths on XP Home and not on XP Pro or Win 7. 

I'll post Monday with the findings from my meeting with the dll developer. 

Chris
Practical Physics, LLC
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,748 Views)
In terms of having to specify the location of the dll, was the dll in the same location on both your development machine and the XP Home machine that seems to be giving you trouble?
Hope this helps.
-Ben

WaterlooLabs
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,737 Views)

The dll didn't change locations.

Chris
Practical Physics, LLC
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,730 Views)

Hey Chris,

That does seem strange; especially considering that you are not getting that error on machines with other versions of windows. Did you hear anything from the developers of the .dll? One workaround worth considering is including the .dll in your executable as an always included file and use relative addressing in your VI. Would have the same effect as hard coding the .dll file path. However, it would eliminate any errors that might have occurred due to having the .dll in different places on different machines.

Hope this helps.
-Ben

WaterlooLabs
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,712 Views)