obvious to deploy shared variable engine (libraries) in localhost instead of
RT. However, the problem is the shared variables (read) used in localhost VIs
are not being updated from RTs. But when I am using another local VI to update
the shared variable, it is working just fine. The variable path of the RT looks
like "\\My Computer\Local NPSVlvlib\Test
Data". I think this is the problem why the values are not being updated
because RT cannot resolve the network path ("\\My
Computer\Local NPSVlvlib\Test Data"). Also, I tried to change the shared
variable path in RT but I could not do it. Help Needed!!!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,357 Views)

Hello,

IF you are going to talk with multiple RT with single HOST system you have to deploy shared variable engine in each RT. and on Host you can listen the particular Tag name. Don't use My Computer or string as your tag name this will not recognize by any remote system use your IP address.

If you deploy your code in your RT make sure the shared variable deploy option should be marked.

I think if you want to communicate with multiple RT you can go with simple TCP/IP or network stream function to achieve the target.

Thanks and Regards
Himanshu Goyal | LabVIEW Engineer- Power System Automation
Values that steer us ahead: Passion | Innovation | Ambition | Diligence | Teamwork
It Only gets BETTER!!!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,348 Views)

Thanks for your reply. I found in this link http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/9900#toc2 that host computer can host the shared variable library and RT does not need the shared variable engine. See below

If your application includes a single host computer and a single or multiple RT targets it is recommended to host the library on the host computer. This will save memory and processor time on the RT targets. Also, by hosting the library on the host computer instead of the RT target, you can reduce the software install footprint on the RT target. The RT target will not need the Network Variable Engine, but will still require Variable Client Support. The Network Variable Engine allows hosting, the Client allows communicating with libraries on other machines. You can see a RIO target with these installed in Figure 4.

That exactly what I am trying to do. Any comments?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,334 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author titoo_eee

I think I found the issue. Firewall was the culprit. I turned off the firewall and it started working like charm.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,332 Views)

Getting a similar problem solved in the same way. I would not like to keep the firewall off. Which is the software to be added in the exceptions list? Or there is another procedure?

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,256 Views)