From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting Wires When Dragging an Icon Into Structure

I just started using LV2017.  In previous versions, when I dragged a block diagram icon into a structure, LabVIEW would delete the associated wires.  LV2017 tries to drag the wires into the structure, and generally gets it wrong.  Is there a way to adjust the settings to give me the old behavior?

Thanks.

Forbes Black
Lapsed CLAD, LV 5 - LV 2022 (Yeah, I'm that old...)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,431 Views)

Based on this idea, you aren't alone in not liking this behavior.

Doesn't look like there's a way to opt out or turn off.

Message 2 of 8
(3,418 Views)

Appears the best you can currently do is press 'W' while dragging the item, which will turn off the re-wiring for that drag.

Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
Message 3 of 8
(3,338 Views)

@Mythilt wrote:

Appears the best you can currently do is press 'W' while dragging the item, which will turn off the re-wiring for that drag.

THANK YOU!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,333 Views)

Just started using 2017 on a project and I really dislike this feature. I know it can be disabled with "W" but I am left handed, my right hand rests on the arrow keys to straighten up things as I wire, so pressing the "W" really breaks my work flow as I have to remove my hand from the arrow keys.I have zero use for this "feature" and wish to permanently disable it.

While I am at it I would like to disable the filled box around the selection, the performance of this is not good on my pretty powerful dev PC.

I seem to recall seeing some discussion a while back about some LabVIEW.ini keys that modify the edit experience, however I cannot find the conversation again.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,248 Views)

@Neil.Pate wrote:

. I know it can be disabled with "W" but I am left handed

OT: now I will not forget this the next time Buffalo rules are in place! 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,240 Views)

Buffalo rule is going to be in place from now on as soon as you arrive in the hosting city Smiley Very Happy 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,210 Views)

I seem to recall seeing some discussion a while back about some LabVIEW.ini keys that modify the edit experience...

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000004AQCSA2

"You can deactivate the behavior entirely by adding the following token to the LabVIEW.ini which can be found in your LabVIEW installation directory
DragAutoWire = false"

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(378 Views)