LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Datasocket generic error on open or read

Hi drummaniac83,,

The examples for using DataSockets can be found in the Example Finder at Help>>Find Examples...>>Networking>>DataSocket. These should allow you to set up a simple test to see where your problem is originating.

Regards,

Stephen S.

National Instruments
Applications Engineering
Message 11 of 18
(3,660 Views)

Hi,

I have the exact same issue. I am running LV 8.50 on one PC and an Omrom OPC Server on another. I can browse-to, connect and read/write values over LAN using various OPC clients, including NI's ServerExplorer. However, a little VI using the DataSocket Browse -> OpenDatasocket results in error 42 if I connect to the OPC server. I also installed the NI DataSocket server on the remote PC to test the COM/DCOM stuff mentioned earlier in this thread, and this works fine. I can connect and read values from the NI datasocket server without problems with the test VI.

Help much appreciated. 

Message Edited by budtz on 09-11-2008 07:26 AM
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(3,644 Views)

Hi,

I have a very similar problem. I am running LV 8.50 on one PC and an OPC.SINUMERIK.Machineswitch OPC Server on my machine. I can connect and read/write values over LAN using various OPC clients (Browsing is not supported by the OPC Server). Using "NI Demo OPC Client.vi" the OpenDatasocket results in error 1184 if I connect to the OPC server.

All actions documented in "Using OPC via DCOM with XP SP2 v1.10" from the OPC Foundation are applied.

I also installed the Matrikon OPC Tunneller. The tunnelled OPC Server can also be connected form the different OPC client. Using the Labview Datasocket connection rsults in error 42.

I hope you can help me with that.

Matthias

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(3,469 Views)

Hi All,

I have almost the same connectivity issue between Datasocket based Labview OPC client and S7 OPC server (SimaticNet)!!

Have been through all DCOM security settings, both machines can ping each other, the three 'regsrv's are done according to the comments here, OPC Scout works on server machine displaying live data, Labview OPC client can see DataSocket server defined items on server machine,...

Currently I work with an S7 300 PLC. Still can not get live data on Labview OPC client side!

Further help would be appreciated.

Sia

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(3,386 Views)

Hi Siamak,

Can you replicate this behavior with another OPC client? For example, you can download a free Kepware OPC client and see if it works with the server that you are using.

Regards,

Stephen S.

National Instruments
Applications Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(3,366 Views)

Hi,

Was a solution to this problem every developed? I'm currently expierencing the same issue. Followed all the guides to configure DCOM and Allow access, but I am still receiving the generic 42 error, Can't connect to OPC server: Registry Access is denied.

LabVIEW 2010 is on an XP SP2 machine. Kepware OPC server V5 is on an win 2008 R2 machine. If I use my domain admin account i can connect and no problems arise. If I use my normal domain account the databinding indicator is red, and such error occurs.

I've followed all attached forum posts and done research for this but no solution has been found. Does anyone know what the registry items are that I need to allow access to for normal domain accounts to communicate with the OPC server?

Firewalls are down on both machines. They are both in the same domain and workgroup.  I'm not entirely sure why LV needs to access the registry on the remote machine to access the tags.

Anyone know of a solution or where to find it?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(2,755 Views)

Have you read through and configured according to this document? 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/$CXIV/ATTACH-AEEE-7PEDE6/$FILE/Using%20OPC%20via%20DCOM%20in%20XP%2...

It is specific to windows XP sp2.  

Let me know if this helps. 

National Instruments
FlexRIO & R-Series Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(2,735 Views)

I solved the issue by granting access to everyone in the registry key's for securedpipeline in one of the above supplied links. I seemed to have missed this step when i was going through all the links.

I can connect to the server on my domain but trying to get to a server in another workgroup on our domain gives me a:

Could not enumerate OPCDA 1.0 Category Classes EnumServers.Cpp.

I still need to add a username and password from the domain to that workgroup computer and then try to see if it works. I'll re-post if its successful.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(2,701 Views)