From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Datamax I4308 USB printer help

Hi,

I currently have two Datamax I4308 printers attached to my PXI chassis. I am using two printers because the products I am testing require two completely different die cut labels. Using the EasyLabel Platinum software I created my labels and also created a text file that contains the image of the label.

From this text file I can search for a static serial number and replace it with the correct one when each device passes the production test.

I am having trouble finding a way to send this image, contained in the text file, to the printer via the USB ports. When I tried using the easy report VI's the printer starts printing the text file rather than the "label image."

If anyone has any ideas on how work through this it would be greatly appreciated. I miss the good ol' days of RS-232.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,557 Views)

Hi Joe,

I am a little confused by the format of your textfile. Could you please this along with a basic VI that prints the text file.

thanks

FLash

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,532 Views)
Flash,
Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me. I am using a PXI-8102 running Windows XP and LabView 8.6.1.
Using the third part label software I created a text file that is sent to the label printer and converted to a label image. I’ve included a copy of the text file for you to take a look at if you’re interested.  I’ve been able to use the system executive control to copy the file to serial port successfully.  I’ve tried to perform the same task using a USB to serial converter and have had no luck. When I connect the USB to Serial converter to another computer and try to capture the file using Hyper-terminal only ½ to 2/3 of the file comes through before the transmission is unexpectedly stopped. I repeated that test using the native com 1 on the PXI controller and it works without a problem.
Ideally, I’d like to be able to use the USB ports on the printer as serial ports are slowly going the way of the dinosaur. After a lot of forum searching, there is not a simple way to just “dump” the file to the USB port. I think I will have to use Active X or write a .net function to send the file to the windows printer driver.
I’ve also tried to send the file using the VISA controls.  To do that, I set up the com port using the VISA Configure Serial Port VI. After the com port has been set up, I then Open and Read the text file. The string output of the text file is then sent to the com port with the VISA write function. I’ve had no luck getting that to work either.
If you could offer any insight on how to get around this, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again for your help with this.

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,499 Views)
Sorry I forgot the attachments...
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,498 Views)