From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database communication between LabVIEW and Microsoft SSMS on separate devices

I am attempting to set up a communication between Labview and Microsoft SSMS, on two separate devices, in order to send and receive information about the database from both labview to ssms and ssms to labview. However, when I reach the "Data Link Properties" menu, I get the same unable to log in error upon attempting to log into the server. The server name comes up, however, an error occurs once I move on to select the database on that server. Is there any solution or tutorial to this problem that can allow me to successfully communicate back and forth from labview and smss on separate devices?

I've opened up various ports to allow a connection, even disabled the firewalls on both devices. The devices are connected via an Ethernet cable and I AM able to ping the devices to each other. However, in regards to being unable to log into the server in ssms, I have created new users, adjusted the login properties, tried changing permissions, but anything I try doesn't seem to solve my issue. The attached image is where the issue is coming up...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,266 Views)

If you are unable to connect to the SQL server using the data link file, you need to contact your IT department to make sure you have the proper settings/login information.  This has nothing to do with LabVIEW at this point. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,252 Views)

I am now able to choose the databases and successfully test my connection, however, I am still getting what seems to be a login error. 

Error -2147217843 occurred at NI_Database_API.lvlib:DB Tools Open Connec (String).vi->NI_Database_API.lvlib:DB Tools Open Connec (Path).vi->labviewToSQLVI.vi

Possible reason(s):
ADO Error: 0x80040E4D
Exception occured in Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server: Login failed for user 'quinn'. in NI_Database_API.lvlib:DB Tools Open Connec (String).vi->NI_Database_API.lvlib:DB Tools Open Connec (Path).vi->labviewToSQLVI.vi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,224 Views)

Also, the server itself is running on windows 10 Microsoft Server Management Studio 18. The device running labVIEW that I am trying to connect to the server is being run on windows 7. Have also tried using a .udl file connection from the desktop and that seemed to work, however, labVIEW continued to give an error.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,207 Views)

You are not connecting to SSMS when you execute a query.  SSMS is only a management tool for the SQL engine.

Is user 'quinn' the user that you used to test the connection?  

Does this user have access to the table that you wish to query?  

Have you tried to run a query from within SSMS as user 'quinn'?

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,206 Views)