From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Connectivity Toolkit 2016 - Doesn't Display Tables

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a SQL Server running on a local wireless network and am able to connect to the server and open my databse using the command line tool and also using mySQL Workbench. 

I can't open any of the tables in my database that I created in the Workbench editor, however if I use the Database Connectivity Toolkit (DCT) to create a table...I'm able to open that table with the DCT. The tables do not show up in the native SQL tools though? 

Using Windows 10 64 Bit

LabVIEW 2016 32 Bit

Pabst Blue Ribbon 12-oz Bottles

ODBC - 32 Bit Connection using UDL File

SQL Server 2014

UDL connection seems OK, however I'm unable to list contents of any tables. Any ideas?

Winston

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,036 Views)

One thing to get clear: 

Are you using MySQL or are you using MS SQL server? 

There is a difference, and you need to use the correct tools for each of them. 

MySQL Workbench will not work with MS SQL Server. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,986 Views)

Oh, well..short answer is that it looks like I have multiple versions on this machine:

MS SQL Server 2008a

MS SQL Server Express 2012

MS SQL Server Express 2014

MySQL Server 5.2

MySQL Tools

We have a system with Ubuntu 16.04 running on it that I've considered using as the SQL server but don't understand the specifics of accessing it from LabVIEW on Windows so I may abandon that and focus on the Windows 10 machine.

We believe that this database will receive ~1000 entries per year for the next 4-5 years so space and access speed is not really a concern. Does LabVIEW work comparably with MS SQL and MySQL? All insight is appreciated, I'm just scratching the surface of this project at this point.

Winston

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,981 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author winston.hensley

The issue is probably that you are using the wrong ODBC tool. 

Try the one located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe and see if it helps. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,977 Views)

I'm sure the Pabst Blue Ribbon isn't helping you much either.  Smiley Wink

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,975 Views)

Thank you for the replies. After uninstalling all SQL server instances and tools and then installing only MySQL with the ODBC connector I was able to establish an ODBC connection. 

Winston

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,963 Views)