From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DataSocket: Get Names of all Data Items on a Given Server

Hello everyone,

I'm playing around with DataSockets (specifically DSTP, although OLE is an option) and I was wondering if there was a way to list all the Data Items on a given server.

For example, say I have 3 programs each make their own data item on the Data Socket server, DSserver:

dstp://DSserver/data1

dstp://DSserver/data2

dstp://DSserver/data3

If I know the data item names, I can very easily get the data from them with an array. However, with my application I'm not guanenteed to know the data item names - or, more precisely, I'm not guarenteed that the data item will have been created by the publishing program (computer might be turned off, for example).

What I want is to be able to query dstp://DSserver/ for all the data names that exist. Is this possible?

My application is:

I'm running 8 computers all with the same code, running tests on parts. I want to create a status monitor program that tells me if a part is running and information about it (what part it's on, how many left, etc). My plan was to have each test program create and write to a data item on the DSserver, and then have the monitor program read from the DSserver. I want to be able to query the data names so that I my monitor program is scalable to more test computers and so that it doesn't attempt to read data if the data item does not exist.

EDIT 1: 2013-05-07 12:39 PDT

I know that this is possible because DataSocket Select URL.vi can list the items on the DSserver. However, I don't want the popup window - I just want an array of data items returned.

Message 1 of 4
(2,591 Views)

I've looked through all the ActiveX classes referencing data sockets, and haven't been able to find anything so far. 😞

The closest I've got is the ActiveX class CWDSLib.INIDSCtl which has a SelectURL method - the same thing that DataSocket Select URL.vi calls.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,568 Views)

Also, there's a typo in my original post.

"(specifically DSTP, although OLE is an option)" should say "(specifically DSTP, although OPC is an option)"

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,566 Views)

I've decided I'm just going to multicast a UDP signal from each test computer. This will allow N monitor programs to run and I don't have to worry about setting up the DataSocket server.

Message 4 of 4
(2,543 Views)