LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data socket problems with LVRT 8.2

Nadim,

The reason you weren't able to replicate this in Austin is because you may not have run the exact same tests that we ran at our premises. The NI rep for our area was able to replicate the problem here. I think the fair thing to say here is that something got broken in going from Data Socket 4.2 which shipped with LV7.1 to Data Socket 4.4 which shipped with LabVIEW 8.2. Another thing that ought to be mentioned is that NI will not spend time trying to fix this because Data Socket is being discontinued, or at least will no longer be supported.

Thanks,
Chatonda Mtika
Chief Scientist, Algis Corp
Vancouver, Canada
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(553 Views)

Chatonda,

As long as your solution worked with the psp protocol, you are not at a complete loss. So far Datasockets have been reliable for me on 8.2, however I had started migration to shared variables since the intro of LV 8.2.

I kind off have a same problem, but pertaining to a new gen PXI controller. Some of the issues need to be brought to the attention of the local rep inorder to clearly communicate the problems encountered. Smiley Mad

Thanks,
Ashm01

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(535 Views)
Chatonda,

I don't mean to hijack your thread here but I wanted to set the record straight with regards to Datasocket.  While it is true that we are spending most of our development effort on PSP and the Shared Variable architecture, we have not abandoned the Datasocket codebase in terms of fixing bugs nor do we have any plans to discontinue it's support.

Respectfully,

Simon H
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(515 Views)
Simon H,

It's good to hear that NI is still working to fix the bug in the DS protocol. Maybe one of these days I'll get an email telling me that my problem has been fixed. For the record, I did not invent what I said about DS being discontinued. In one email exchange, the following words were used: "I only recommend to change to TCP/IP because datasockets are being deprecated". Anyhow, I'm glad to hear that NI is still working on DS. Like I've indicated in my discussions with NI applications engineers, it does not make sense to ship a product with a bug and say we're not going to fix the bug because this is the last time we're shipping this module.

Please keep apprised me of the progress.

Chatonda
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(506 Views)