From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data acquisition and postprocessing with DAQmx and Scope simultaniously

Hello dear community,

I'm programming a Data acquisition tool which uses a NI PXIe-4492 (8 Channels acquisition with DAQmx) and a NI PXI-5922 (2 Channels with Scope).

The settings and start/stop of each channel shall be altered while acquiring, thus I implemented a Producer-(multiple)Consumers structure. Since saving the acquired data to the harddrive is the most important job, I split the acquiring & saving (within one consumer loop) and the postprocessing (do fft etc.) from each other.

Now my question:

- Is splitting the acquiring & saving part and the postprocessing part wise?

- I transfer the data from the acquiring loop to the postprocessing loop within Queues. Is there a better / faster solution?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,767 Views)

@WalterBaum wrote:

- Is splitting the acquiring & saving part and the postprocessing part wise?

- I transfer the data from the acquiring loop to the postprocessing loop within Queues. Is there a better / faster solution?

Yes. But make sure you are writing as fast as you acquire. And Queue is the correct approach, you are in the right path.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,751 Views)

I agree with P@Anand, you definitely want to use Producer/Consumer to leverage the parallelism that LabVIEW provides.  Unless your data rates are insanely high, there shouldn't be a problem streaming them to disk (whose disk, by the way -- the disk on the PXI's controller, or your PC's hard drive?).  You might well consider two P/C systems -- a "high-speed" one, perhaps based around an RT-FIFO, from DAQmx to Disk Spooler, and a (potentially) slower one that copies the data to your FFT/Processing loop.  If you think that you might overwhelm the latter loop, but could afford to "miss" some points (for example, because you're just updating a display), you could use a fixed-length Queue and do a Lossy Enqueue (or, better, process every other batch of data).  All depends on Data Rates and Data Needs.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,712 Views)