From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Storage: is TDMS overkill for event logging?

Solved!
Go to solution

I want to log a mass, a box number, the logged in user, and a time stamp periodically. I would also occasionally log a string describing an event.

The way I see it, there would be a group for each box number and a channel for each entry for the box. Mass, box number, logged in user, time stamp, and event description could all be properties for each channel.

Is this the right tool for the job? I'd be using streaming data format without streaming any data. Writing a CSV file could get the job done. What benefits might I derive from using a TDMS. Are there any pitfalls? Is there another format I should consider?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,414 Views)

From what I understand of TDMS, it would not be a good tool for this job. The CSV approach will be good to start out and if required you can import the CSV into a DB if your req's change so you have to do searching and reporting.

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,389 Views)
There is a very simple reporting aspect to the application. I need to be able to pull all the data from one box number and display it on a table, as well as format it into a report. This would not be difficult to do from a CSV, though. I can't imagine needing to search for any data.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,384 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author IMSargon

Then run and don't look back.

KISS = Keep It Simple Sir

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,382 Views)