LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Communication Compatibility pallette

Hi,

Can anyone explain the status of Network Streams and Network Shared Variables in NXG?

What is the idea behind a Data Communication Compatibility pallette? Is it going to be deprecated somewhere down the line?

Are these technologies still a viable choice for use in newly developed applications that require maintenance for the coming say 5 years?

What would be the alternative technologies that should be used in their place?

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,344 Views)

I wouldn't write an application that is going to be around and need to be maintained with any language that is still basically in its beta release.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 2 of 8
(2,271 Views)

Hi Bob,

I agree with that statement, except for the web module part since it doesn't have a CG counterpart.

But I'm talking about using the technologies mentioned in the NXG compatibility pallette in CG applications. What would be the future impact of a choice for these technologies in new CG based applications when migrating to NXG at some future point in time.

How long will the compatibility pallette exist?

Is there a chance that it might be removed just in the version we would then like to migrate to?

What is the meaning of the word "compatibility" in this context?

I hope this clarifies a bit better what answers I seek.

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,232 Views)

As i understand it, Network streams is basically a wrapper of some TCP/IP functions in much the same way Channel wires is a wrapper of some Queue functions.

I bet they'll be around, and if not atleast supported for many years, and if even that would fail (but then we're 10+ years into the future) you can easily switch to standard TCP/IP.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 4 of 8
(2,212 Views)

andre.buurman@carya wrote:

Can anyone explain the status of Network Streams and Network Shared Variables in NXG?

I'm pretty sure Network Published Shared Variables are supposed to be gone in NXG.  I do believe there was a "Tag API" library that is supposed to replace them.

I have not heard anything on the Network Streams.  But I imagine, based on a CAB I was on a few years ago, NI will eventually start working on a "Stream API" that could replace the Network Streams (and possibly Queues, RT FIFOs, etc.).  But this is pure speculation.

So if you are thinking long term, I would probably stick with the TCP/IP and UDP functions.  I prefer using the TCP/IP anyways.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 8
(2,187 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

So if you are thinking long term, I would probably stick with the TCP/IP and UDP functions.  I prefer using the TCP/IP anyways.

Ditto that!

They should around a good long time and if we write the code that uses them, we can fix the problems and NOT have to wait for a bug fix and NOT have to worry about them being dropped (Like BridgeVIEW Tag engine, SoftMotion, etc)

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 6 of 8
(2,169 Views)

Thanks all for sharing you thought and opinions.

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,144 Views)

Thanks all for sharing you thought and opinions.

You are welcome.

Please let me put my thought another way...

"If I can do a ctrl-e, I can fix it. If not I am at the mercy of others."

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,125 Views)