LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Weekly Nugget 09/05/2006

Here's a helpful nugget for those of you who run multiple versions of LabVIEW at the same time.  In LabVIEW 8.0 and later, you can place the following line in your LabVIEW INI file:

showExePathInWindowTitle=True

With this line in your INI file, the window title of every VI you have open will indicate the path on disk to the LabVIEW EXE file that is running.  It only indicates the owning folder and the EXE name (without the .exe extension)...so for example, if you are running LabVIEW 8.0 from the default installed location, then your VIs will have "LabVIEW 8.0/LabVIEW" in their title bar.  If you have LabVIEW installed in a custom location like c:\lv80\lv80.exe (that's where mine is installed), then your VI title bar will have "lv80/lv80".  Note that this information is appended to the existing title bar contents, i.e. you'll still see your VI name (or customized Window Title) in the title bar, you'll just see this new information after it.

-D

P.S. - Check out past nuggets here.
Message 1 of 6
(9,433 Views)
Cool tip. thanks! Very useful 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(9,416 Views)

Great !

How could I find the LV.ini file on my Macintosh version ?

Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

Message 3 of 6
(9,415 Views)
Quite verbose :
"Untitled 1 Block Diagram * LabVIEW 8.2/LabVIEW  8.2 Release Main Application Instance, NULL"

Darren, could you comment ?

Message Edité par chilly charly le 09-05-2006 06:46 PM

Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(9,401 Views)

The part before and including the star is the normal stuff that's always there.  Then comes the path to the EXE.  Then the LabVIEW version.  Then the "type" of LabVIEW version (I'm guessing it says something like "b23" for a beta version as opposed to "Release", which is obviously the released version).  Then the current application instance that the VI is in (read the LabVIEW Help for more information on application instances).  Finally, the path to the current VI.  It will say "NULL" if the current VI is not saved to disk.

So I guess I could have elaborated a little bit on what exactly that INI entry adds to the titlebar.  🙂

Oh, to answer the previous question, the preferences file is stored in some weird location on the Mac.  Try Users:[username]:Library: Preferences:LabVIEW.app Preferences.  If it's not that, it's probably something similar. 

-D

Message Edited by Darren on 09-05-2006 01:07 PM

Message 5 of 6
(9,375 Views)
Darren, Chill C.,

For the macintosh it is a simple translation.

It is not "weird" it is a normal location for all prefernces. But just to be a bit more exact, the prefrences file in each individuals account. So from your home folder it is in Library/Preferences. The files are wisely named for the version of LV thus one can run multiple (I have 😎 versions of labview on your system simultaneously without trashing each others preferences.

So for LV 8.2, the file is named "LabVIEW.app 8.2 Preferences". I believe that they screwed up and LV 7.1 just used the bare preferences file without the version number, but I may be wrong.

The other difference is that for the Mac platform use a colon instead of an equals sign
showExePathInWindowTitle: True

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

Message 6 of 6
(7,355 Views)