LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Weekly Nugget 08/24/2010

Cool LabVIEW 2010 Features Part IV:  VI Server Rename with Quick Drop

With Quick Drop in LabVIEW 2010, you can now change the class, property, or method of a class specifier constant, Property Node, or Invoke Node, without having to navigate the VI Server menus.  Select one or more class specifier constants,  property nodes, and invoke nodes, press Ctrl-Space to bring up Quick Drop, type a class name (like 'listbox'), press Ctrl-B, and the class for all the selected diagram objects will change to the class name you typed.  If you select multiple property/invoke nodes, type the name of a specific property/method, and press Ctrl-Shift-B, that property/method name will be applied to the selected diagram objects.

Note 1 - When using the Ctrl-Shift-B feature, dotted properties (like 'Label.Text') are not supported.

Note 2 - Last year I posted the VI Server Rename shortcut on the NI Community here.  If you were using that shortcut in LabVIEW 2009, you do not need to copy it over to LabVIEW 2010 since this shortcut is now a built-in feature.

Note 3 - This feature also allows you to change the class name of LabVIEW Class property nodes in LabVIEW 2010.

Message 1 of 21
(9,388 Views)

New version is better than old version but actually it's not important.

Nowadays many companies use 8.0 ~ 8.5 version in the world and they don't have any problem about system development.

I think like that : NI have to update many functions when new version LabVIEW is come out.

Some new fucntions are not important.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(9,371 Views)

Jemin,

Can you please explain how your message relates to Darren's nugget?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(9,273 Views)

@Jemin wrote:

New version is better than old version but actually it's not important.

Nowadays many companies use 8.0 ~ 8.5 version in the world and they don't have any problem about system development.

I think like that : NI have to update many functions when new version LabVIEW is come out.

Some new fucntions are not important.

Maybe not important to you.  But there are many out there who can actually benefit greatly from the new functions and features.  What if a feature you like would not be important to someone else?  Do you think NI should not implement it because someone else thought it wasn't important.  Think of others, not just yourself.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(9,212 Views)

I don't think that was his point. Where I work, we have millions of dollars of machines all over the world running on LabView software. The powers that be here are worried that an upgrade might possibly cause a bug in the next version of our software and all of our customers will be unhappy and our reputation will be permanently damaged.

Telling me all of the wonderful things that the new LabVIEW can do isn't going to make me feel any warmer or fuzzier. You have to convince my bosses that upgrading will not accidentally gut the company.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(9,187 Views)

Then if the things new LabVIEW can do doesn't make you warm or fuzzy, then there is no reason for you to read this thread.

This thread isn't a sales job to try to force anyone to upgrade to LV 2010.  It is about teaching some new features added to the new version so people can use them if they want.  If someone decides to upgrade, but hadn't heard about a new feature, then the new feature isn't helping them at all.

I can completely understand why you or others would resist upgrading your LV version for the reasons you have given. But, Jemin's post was unnecessary and had nothing at all to do with this thread.  If he felt he had a complaint that needed to be heard, then he should have started a new thread.  Perhaps even add a kudo to this Idea LTS Long-term support version of LabVIEW.

Even if you don't have any current plans to upgrade your version, there probably will come a time where you need to.  And by reading this thread, others like it, and threads about versions yet to come, that knowledge will help you to determine when is the right time to invest in upgrading and to know what issues to look out for when you do.

Message 6 of 21
(9,171 Views)

We face the same issues that you do.  The beauty is that you don't have to upgrade every time a new version comes out.  We don't upgrade unless a newer version proves to be worthy and has features that would benefit us.  And then it is only for new projects.  Old projects stay with the version they started with.  If the old project needs re-writing, then we may go with a newer version.

I'm sorry if I seemed to be attacking anyone.  I just felt that the comments about new features not being important was just out of line.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(9,170 Views)

Upgrading and testing a new version of LabVIEW is up to you. Since you can keep all the old versions installed, there is no risk in trying the upgraded code in some sort of thorough beta test environment. If there are features that you need/want and the beta testing is successful, then it should be possible to convince your bosses. This is not much different than the IT department evaluating a new version of the OS or a new version of office. We did this at the last place I worked where we also had thousands of testers across the world.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(9,169 Views)

And I want to upgrade. It's been two years now and I'm thinking about finding somewhere else to work. Do you know anyone who wants to hire a 60 year old man with a CLAD and a heart condition? There are places where objectifying the code will make things much neater and more manageable. There are workarounds that we had to use to get around "features" that the new code might have fixed up. There are improvements to the application builder that I can't wait to try out.

I'm just trying to say that I understand what that other guy was saying. I think my boss is nuts but he is terrified of losing the week or two that upgrading will cost us. And my supervisor, bless his heart, keeps saying that if it works don'f fix it. You tell me how to deal with attitudes like that.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(9,116 Views)

Thanks for the nugget, Darren!  That will come in handy for me.

Message 10 of 21
(9,096 Views)