LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Weekly Nugget 07/06/2009

Did you know that the LabVIEW Help is searchable online?  All the content that is shipped in core LabVIEW's CHM files is hosted on ni.com as well.  So if you want more information on the Match Pattern function, for example, just go to google.com and type match pattern labview 8.6, and the first link in the search results is the LabVIEW 8.6 version of the help for the Match Pattern function.

One reason I really like having the help content online is that Google tends to be better at figuring out what I want than the Search that is built-in to the LabVIEW Help.  Another reason is that I can link to the help for different functions and subVIs I reference in my nuggets.

Finally, I found out here that I can change my Google Chrome omnibar search to do an "I'm Feeling Lucky" search on whatever I type.  So now it's as simple as typing match pattern labview 8.6 in my address bar in Google Chrome, and the resulting page is the help file I want...no search results necessary.

Message 1 of 7
(5,104 Views)

LabVIEW is just so intuitive understandable, that Help is not really necessary (especially for real programmers who first will place match pattern primitive on the BD, and only then will RTFM) ;).

Seriously, its a good trick with Google (but personally I will press F1 faster as you will type "match pattern labview 8.6").

What I would like to add:

- you can type match pattern labview 8.6 site:ni.com - then result will be limited to ni.com only (sometimes search result may be better than original search on ni site).

- some examples which are not included in LabVIEW also hosted on NI. Just select Help->Find Examples, then check mark "Include ni.com examples". (This may not working properly behind corporate firewall, but you can try Proxomitron for bypassing.)

Andrey.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,087 Views)

Ok, so I'm trying Chrome for the first time on the forums, and it's hosed the formatting... I apologize if this looks odd - I've edited the best I could...  

Darren said:
Finally, I found out here that I can change my Google Chrome omnibar search to do an "I'm Feeling Lucky" search on whatever I type.
So now it's as simple as typing match pattern labview 8.6 in my address bar in Google Chrome, and the resulting page is the help file I want...no search results necessary.

Following the instructions you linked to, an "I'm Feeling Lucky" search seems to work as long as the search term is only one word.
Did you tweak something to get an omnibar entry of match pattern labview 8.6 to skip the search results?

Message Edited by LabBEAN on 07-06-2009 01:48 PM

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,064 Views)

Darren wrote:

Did you know that the LabVIEW Help is searchable online? 

Yes. It's great for providing links to show the answer to someone's question is in the documentation that they sometimes don't bother to read.

Message 4 of 7
(5,046 Views)

LabBEAN wrote:

Following the instructions you linked to, an "I'm Feeling Lucky" search seems to work as long as the search term is only one word.
Did you tweak something to get an omnibar entry of match pattern labview 8.6 to skip the search results?

Hmm, I'm seeing weird behavior too.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  I can get the Match Pattern search to work if it's the first search I do when opening a new tab in Chrome (which is what I did to test it prior to posting the nugget), but if it's a subsequent search on the same tab, it doesn't work.  *sigh*   I found a couple of other search URLs to try, but they're spotty too.

So uh, I guess it's an "I'm Feeling Kinda Lucky" search?

Message 5 of 7
(4,998 Views)

There is something wrong with the help page itself :

If you enter a search term on the 8.6 help page it will search in help of other versions as well.

Try 'match pattern' for instance, the first hit is on the 8.5 help, however I would expect to search within LabVIEW 8.6 help files.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,992 Views)

just go to google.com and type match pattern labview 8.6, and the first link in the search results is the LabVIEW 8.6 version of the help for the Match Pattern function

This will not work  straight forward from Germany. The first matches will lead to www.labviewforum.de, www.labviewtutorial.eu, www.labviewprotal.de and some other documents.

I needed to go to the advanved search to overright my settings.

Waldemar

Using 7.1.1, 8.5.1, 8.6.1, 2009 on XP and RT
Don't forget to give Kudos to good answers and/or questions
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,899 Views)