From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Weekly Nugget 05/26/2009

A while back, Michael Aivaliotis posted a nifty tip on LAVA that makes a great nugget.  If you have a large app containing many subVIs, and you do something to cause a relink to be required of those subVIs, there is a very easy way to relink all the subVIs at the same time.  Prior to finding out this trick, I usually just went through each individual subVI instance and manually selected the "Relink to SubVI" right-click menu option.  But with Mike's trick, first you find all instances of the subVI in the Find dialog:

find_all_instances.png

Then, pick the subVI itself in the "Replace With" box, and select the "Replace All" button:

replace_all.png

This operation will instantly relink every instance of the subVI that was found.  I really like this tip...in fact, I just used it today!

Message 1 of 4
(5,660 Views)

I used this tip about a week ago when I had to relink my subvi's 

thanks for the tip 🙂

Harold Timmis
htimmis@fit.edu
Orlando,Fl
*Kudos always welcome:)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,655 Views)

Really nice one.

Most of the time we use typedefed clusters so that we don't fall into connector changes so often, but this tip will sure save time.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,577 Views)

Interesting tip but it prompts me to obesrve that choosing a good icon connector when the VI is first created will go a long way toward avoiding this condition in the first place. One of the few corporate dictates that where passed down to me when I came to Data Science Automation was "All VIs will use the same icon connector (worse case - 1)". As a result I can NOT recall ever having to re-link a bunch of calls to a sub-VIs.

So quoting from Indiana Jones,

"Choose wisely."

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 4
(5,477 Views)