LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Weekly Nugget 05/04/2009

@Darren wrote:

I tried multi-select properties on 48 controls on the UI you gave, and I didn't see any of the slowness you've described (running a 2.4GHz(x4) quad core with 4 GB RAM here).  The first launch of the properties page took a few seconds, but each launch after that was very quick.  And applying the changes only took a few seconds.  I also tried the same operation in the LabVIEW 2009 beta and saw pretty much the same speed.

Also, I've never seen Quick Drop crash.  Do you have problems with other applications on your computer besides LabVIEW?

Hi Darren,

Thanks for trying out the vi. My machine is 2.4GHz dual core laptop (4Gb RAM). I have trouble with LabVIEW crashing every day. As I'm a software programmer I do have a lot installed on here (C:\Program Files has 115 folders), but no other programs exhibit the same kind of trouble. With regards NI, I have 8.6 and all prior versions right back to 7.1, with nearly all the toolkits, installed simultaneously - but I've been assured many times by our local sales rep that this shouldn't impact performance or reliability.

I can never use Quick Drop (but I'd really love to!) because I get the following behaviour:

• Use CTRL-Space to launch it
  • Find the function I need
  • Place function on block diagram
  • Two seconds later watch LabVIEW pop and disappear very ungracefully.
  • Relaunch LabVIEW and hope that Recovery Tool works for me Smiley Wink

The same goes for the Functions Palette Search tool.

I'll get around to reinstalling everything on a clean machine one day, and I suspect all my problems will go away, but right now I'm in the middle of a big job and can't afford the risk of formatting my laptop to start afresh. When this current job's over though... Smiley Happy

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 12
(647 Views)
I like that you can edit multiple properties, but what I was expecting from this feature was that the right click menu would be filtered to include only those items that are supported by all of the selected objects - not completely replaced by just a "properties" item.  For example, say I have several subVIs and I want to see all their labels - when I select 1 subVI I right click and select "Visible Items -> Label" - when I select multiple items all I get is "Properties" (which, as already noted, takes a significant time to load).  Why can't I still have the "visible Items -> Label" that is the applied to all the selected items?

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 12
(584 Views)