LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Weekly Nugget 03/23/2009

Just found that "Use default if unwired" does not take the value in the "default case" in the case structure, but always the default value of the data type. Luckily, I only used "Use default if unwired" in the case structure inside a while loop for the "Stop" function, and the default is "False". 
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 24
(1,142 Views)

Ben

Just saw your posting after I tested the "default case" and posted my second message. Thanks.

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 24
(1,141 Views)

Darren wrote:

Case Structure Miscellany

• Here's something you may not have known...check out this VI:

...the contents of unexecuted frames of case structures whose selectors are wired to constants are not compiled.  Keep this in mind when doing things like putting VIs in a case structure that won't execute just to keep the VIs in memory...they may not actually be loaded at all.

Yeah - that one bit me when it came in.  I agree that it closed a hole, but a significant amount of my code relied on this little loop hole - to have the VI in memory to then be able to call it by name (not full path, just name) dynamically 😞

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 24
(1,062 Views)

Here's something you may not have known...check out this VI:

There's no trick photography here...that is a missing subVI, but the VI is not broken. 

Suppose, instead of a missing VI, I put a VI that depends on a DLL that does not exist.  Am I still OK?

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 24
(977 Views)