From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Weekly Nugget 03/22/2010

Have you seen the new Edit Events dialog in LabVIEW 2009?

edit_events_2009.png

Christina talked about it on her blog, but I figured I'd give it a mention here, too.  This is the first significant change for this UI since the Event Structure released in LabVIEW 6.1.  My favorite part about the reorganization is that I no longer have to scroll down to get to the Value Change event for controls.  That alone is worth the mention here.  🙂  But there are other benefits to the redesign, like the easier left-to-right UI flow, and the full name of the current event frame shown in the drop-down.

Message 1 of 8
(5,462 Views)

Thanks Darren. Yes, much improved from the old "stamp sized" configuration dialogs. 😄

One thing that is still a bit hidden and not very obvious is the "lock front panel" setting. The placement of the checkbox and its text would almost hint that it is a setting "per event case", however, it is a setting "per event" and we need to click on all "Event specifiers" to ensure that all settings (all events for that particular event case) are set as required.

The description is clearly wrong: "... until this event case completes".

It should say "... until this event completes" instead. 😞

The two sentences are NOT equivalent!

Maybe each entry in the "Event Specifiers" listbox should include a glyph indicating the lock setting. (I'll probably write this up as an idea). 😉

Message 2 of 8
(5,391 Views)

altenbach wrote: 

Maybe each entry in the "Event Specifiers" listbox should include a glyph indicating the lock setting. (I'll probably write this up as an idea). 😉

If you do post it as an idea, make sure to reply with a link here.  I'll kudo it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,369 Views)

I like the redesign, too!

My little suggestions with big impact to improve it further would be:

• Reverse the order of the controls in the Event Sources tree. Currently, when I add a new control, it gets added to the end of the list. Generally I program by adding a new control and then defining events for that control. New controls get added to the bottom of the Event Sources list. What this means is that I have to keep scrolling to the bottom of a larger and larger list to find the control I want. I say it should be at the top of the list.
  • Collapse Clusters by default in the Event Sources list. These are usually things like Error Clusters that I don't want to define events for. They visually clutter the list.
  • SEARCH! Add a search box at the top to quickly navigate to the control I want.

Sorry in advance. I can't remember if these ideas are mentioned in the Ideas Exchange forum.
Message Edited by Jarrod S. on 03-22-2010 02:02 PM
Jarrod S.
National Instruments
Message 4 of 8
(5,363 Views)

Darren wrote: 
If you do post it as an idea, make sure to reply with a link here.  I'll kudo it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,280 Views)

Jarrod, I like your suggestions (most important the collapse cluster). Please do the same as Cristian and go for the IE and post the link here.

Felix 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,208 Views)
Also, here's an idea for both a sort feature and a search feature.

A (short)list of event related ideas:

• Here's an idea requesting the addition of an 'Add event case' button
  • Another idea on adding a 'file open' event, so you can handle custom file types better 
  • Adding 'mouse scroll' events

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,791 Views)