LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Weekly Nugget 03/09/2009

At my last company, before learning TestStand, I created a test executive using a STRING state machine with 6 states.  Each state only pushed one other state.  Worked great.

At BRT, out of the box, our state ENUM currently has 87 items.  With so many state names, the enum allows the developer to quickly browse and select the correct state to push.  This is especially helpful when enqueuing multiple states at a time, when working on a team with multiple developers, and when training new employees.

(There is a drawback when pushing states to distributed systems, but we have a secret workaround...)

-Jason

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 31
(2,176 Views)

Greg

Myself and MK created a suite of Queue elements that handle individual tasks i.e. get next element,add element, add elemant at opposite end (push), add array of elements, push array of elements ect.  we then put all of these under one master Queue handler.  Now I only have one VI to add to my diagram - then select the type.  This is a different approah to polymorphism - here each VI performs a different task.

Visualize the Solution

CLA

LabVIEW, LabVIEW FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 31
(2,144 Views)

Ben wrote:

So what is a Tree.vi?

A Tree.vi is a VI that is never intended to run that contains your top level VI as well as any dynamically loaded VIs or templates.

Okay Ben, thanks!

Actually, in our company, we call it as the "All VIs.vi". We follow this convention, thats why I lost your explanation a bit.

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 31
(2,141 Views)

Ben,

Just curious...

What happened to Greg McKaskle2 ?!

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 31
(2,138 Views)

parthabe wrote:

Ben,

Just curious...

What happened to Greg McKaskle2 ?!

"Twas the month before 7

when all thru the site, nobody was posting not even one byte.

Then what to my wondering eyes did disappear

No posting from my mentor what could be happening here?

I sent of an e-mail to see what could have happened

The reply said he had word from his captian.

LV 7 will ship as scheduled dispite any matters!

And up to the plate stepped NI's  very best batter.

He flew thru the source code and wiped out those bugs.

The look on his face was ever so smug.

The scheduled realeased happened on time.

But to do so the forum lost also lost its big dime*.

"

Short story:

Greg was told focus on getting LV 7.0 to ship. AS a result his personal habits changed and the forum just does not fit in anymore.

Although it was a loss to the forums, we still have with us every day that we use LabVIEW.

Ben

* Yes sometimes I even disgust myself. Smiley Wink

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 25 of 31
(2,132 Views)

Ben wrote:

LV 7 will ship as scheduled dispite any matters!

And up to the plate stepped NI's  very best batter.

He flew thru the source code and wiped out those bugs.

The look on his face was ever so smug.

The scheduled realeased happened on time.

But to do so the forum lost also lost its big dime*.

"

Short story:

Greg was told focus on getting LV 7.0 to ship. AS a result his personal habits changed and the forum just does not fit in anymore.

Does this mean that he is with NI from then onwards (means from the time of release of LV 7.0)? If this be so, then why his icon appears with Gold bars, instead of blue ? Smiley Indifferent

But his last appearance date in the forums is last July. 

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 31
(2,067 Views)
And his last post in in 2006 only ( NOT so long), which incidentally is related to the deep insights into case structures.
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 31
(2,066 Views)

His profile indicated gold because he used his private e-mail address to register for and participate in the forum.

But he was NI before I started LV and should still be NI.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 31
(2,046 Views)

One thing I dislike about the string case structure is an error prone behaviour:

When changing a boolean case structure to a string case structure you have two states:

1. False (Default)
  2. True

This is behaviour that leads to bugs not easily detected or strange behaviour, if you have a range "T".."W" you will get a broken VI because the second option is True (per default).

I would like it to have that when a string case structure is created empty cases are removed and that the other cases are unnamed, forcing the developer to add the wanted names.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 29 of 31
(2,017 Views)

For those who where readerds of Greg's I got this update from him.

My latest project by the way is exposing thousands and thousands of high school kids and their mentors to LV via the FIRST Robotics competition. For info, google (FIRST 2009 cRIO LabVIEW) or some subset. It is also fun to watch some of the matches on youtube with similar search values.

Greg McKaskle

He tells me he is still posting but his forum has changed.  

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 31
(1,943 Views)