LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Occasional Nugget 11/14/2013

I just realized I haven't posted a nugget about my favorite LabVIEW 2013 feature yet. And it's not even an official feature! 😛

In LabVIEW 2013 or later, add the following token to your INI file:

QuickBold=True

Now, whenever you are editing text on the front panel or block diagram of a VI, Ctrl-B will bold/unbold text:

boldtext.png

If you want this (or more generally, all standard font-editing keyboard shortcuts) to become an official LabVIEW feature, please go here and kudo the idea!

Message 1 of 27
(11,902 Views)

Only catch is that I usually need to remove broken wires much more often than I need to embolden text...

So here's my current thinking: 

Remap Ctrl+U to "Remove Broken Wires", because I don't much fancy the "Clean Up Diagram" tool anyway... Then Ctrl+B is ripe for the picking! (I wonder how long my muscle memory will take to readjust...)

Message 2 of 27
(11,830 Views)

QuickBold is only activated while you're editing a text field. If you're not editing a text field, Ctrl-B will remove broken wires as usual.

Message 3 of 27
(11,827 Views)

Oh... wow! That feels much better.

I hereby double my kudos.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27
(11,820 Views)

@Darren wrote:

QuickBold is only activated while you're editing a text field. If you're not editing a text field, Ctrl-B will remove broken wires as usual.

So then why do we have to add a ini key to enable this feature? Just curious...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 27
(11,775 Views)

dan_u wrote:

So then why do we have to add a ini key to enable this feature? Just curious...

As Darren said, it hasn't officially been released yet.  I believe NI just wants enough people to play with it before it is official, just in case there is a severe bug.  I would assume that once it is official that the ini token won't be necessary.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27
(11,740 Views)

Wow, after four years, they finally implemented it!

Darren, thanks for sharing this info.

>

"There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus." - Blaise Pascal
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27
(11,705 Views)

Love it.  Saw it at NI Week and have been using it ever since.  As I suggested at NI Week this function should be supported in the VI Documentation editor as well.  Even if it is something simple like adding the <b> and </b> tags into the string when CTRL+B is detected.

Message 8 of 27
(11,691 Views)

Thanks for that Darren! 

Now you know I've GOT to ask does QuickHyperlink or QuickBookmark work?

On second thought make that QuickHyperlink- No one really uses revision history but Help is fairly useful

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 27
(11,660 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Now you know I've GOT to ask does QuickHyperlink or QuickBookmark work?

I can't help you with QuickHyperlink yet, but we've already got QuickBookmark in 2013...it's Shift-3. 😉

Message 10 of 27
(11,627 Views)