From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Occasional Nugget 11/14/2013

I just realized I haven't posted a nugget about my favorite LabVIEW 2013 feature yet. And it's not even an official feature! 😛

In LabVIEW 2013 or later, add the following token to your INI file:

QuickBold=True

Now, whenever you are editing text on the front panel or block diagram of a VI, Ctrl-B will bold/unbold text:

boldtext.png

If you want this (or more generally, all standard font-editing keyboard shortcuts) to become an official LabVIEW feature, please go here and kudo the idea!

Message 1 of 27
(11,781 Views)

Only catch is that I usually need to remove broken wires much more often than I need to embolden text...

So here's my current thinking: 

Remap Ctrl+U to "Remove Broken Wires", because I don't much fancy the "Clean Up Diagram" tool anyway... Then Ctrl+B is ripe for the picking! (I wonder how long my muscle memory will take to readjust...)

Message 2 of 27
(11,709 Views)

QuickBold is only activated while you're editing a text field. If you're not editing a text field, Ctrl-B will remove broken wires as usual.

Message 3 of 27
(11,706 Views)

Oh... wow! That feels much better.

I hereby double my kudos.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27
(11,699 Views)

@Darren wrote:

QuickBold is only activated while you're editing a text field. If you're not editing a text field, Ctrl-B will remove broken wires as usual.

So then why do we have to add a ini key to enable this feature? Just curious...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 27
(11,654 Views)

dan_u wrote:

So then why do we have to add a ini key to enable this feature? Just curious...

As Darren said, it hasn't officially been released yet.  I believe NI just wants enough people to play with it before it is official, just in case there is a severe bug.  I would assume that once it is official that the ini token won't be necessary.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27
(11,619 Views)

Wow, after four years, they finally implemented it!

Darren, thanks for sharing this info.

>

"There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus." - Blaise Pascal
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27
(11,584 Views)

Love it.  Saw it at NI Week and have been using it ever since.  As I suggested at NI Week this function should be supported in the VI Documentation editor as well.  Even if it is something simple like adding the <b> and </b> tags into the string when CTRL+B is detected.

Message 8 of 27
(11,570 Views)

Thanks for that Darren! 

Now you know I've GOT to ask does QuickHyperlink or QuickBookmark work?

On second thought make that QuickHyperlink- No one really uses revision history but Help is fairly useful

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 27
(11,539 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Now you know I've GOT to ask does QuickHyperlink or QuickBookmark work?

I can't help you with QuickHyperlink yet, but we've already got QuickBookmark in 2013...it's Shift-3. 😉

Message 10 of 27
(11,506 Views)