LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Occasional Nugget 08/11/2008

sth wrote:

Stupid Freaking Lithium, doesn't allow adding VIs as attachments.  Sheesh.

Here it is as a zip file.  I hear that works sometimes.

Are you using Safari or Chrome browsers?  If so, see here.  It's not lithium, but those browsers don't allow attachments with only 2 letter extensions.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 34
(5,189 Views)

Ravens Fan wrote: 

Are you using Safari or Chrome browsers?  If so, see here.  It's not lithium, but those browsers don't allow attachments with only 2 letter extensions.

Yes I am using Safari of course.  But "here" doesn't seem to mention that there is a browser limitation of 2 letter extensions.
 In fact I just uploaded a file from Safari to a wiki using Apache with a 2 letter extension.  This is a direct counter example to the statement above.  There is no limitation in Safari of Chrome.
 However with experimentation I did have a problem with a Windows web server that did have a problem accepting 2 letter extensions.
 So maybe it should be stupid *(&^(*&^ windows running lithium.
 It is possible to upload 2 character extension files using Safari to a web server.  However NIs implementation of Lithium in whatever combination of server it uses can't do it. 
At the moment Safari, Opera (and maybe Chrome, I haven't checked it) are the most standards compliant browsers out there.

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 34
(5,176 Views)

sth wrote:
Yes I am using Safari of course.  But "here" doesn't seem to mention that there is a browser limitation of 2 letter extensions.

Perhaps it is this link.  One was linked to the other.

sth wrote:
 However with experimentation I did have a problem with a Windows web server that did have a problem accepting 2 letter extensions.
 So maybe it should be stupid *(&^(*&^ windows running lithium.
 It is possible to upload 2 character extension files using Safari to a web server.  However NIs implementation of Lithium in whatever combination of server it uses can't do it. 
At the moment Safari, Opera (and maybe Chrome, I haven't checked it) are the most standards compliant browsers out there.

I don't care what type of server is running the website.  I have no control over that.  All I care about is the browser I'm using.  And I know IE works and Safari and Opera don't even if they are more compliant to the standards.

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 34
(5,171 Views)

Ravens Fan wrote:

I don't care what type of server is running the website.  I have no control over that.  All I care about is the browser I'm using.  And I know IE works and Safari and Opera don't even if they are more compliant to the standards.

Yes and that logic can be turned around if you wish to be consistent.  I know that Safari and Opera work with other servers and software.  I don't care or control what NI has but it is broken.  Even if it isn't standards compliant it merely just flat doesn't work.  By your own logic then that is all we should care about.  Enough of a thread hijack.

I still like the menu driven approach as a way of getting out of the self inflicted problems of opening one modal window mistakenly on top of another.  Dave Gilmore's version carefully puts the new window on top and lists all your windows to selectively close 'em. 

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 34
(5,154 Views)
This Abort VI tool is great!!! Thanks for the work you put into it. Those modal VIs have always caused so many problems because closing them can sometimes turn out to be a half hour project by the time you've got back to the point you were at before you had to exit and reopen labVIEW. Thanks again 
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 34
(5,007 Views)

So Darren, now that scripting's public, does the diagram still need to be pass-protected?  I'm interested in seeing it if that's possible.

-Barrett
CLD
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 34
(3,991 Views)

blawson wrote:

So Darren, now that scripting's public, does the diagram still need to be pass-protected?

Hey Barrett-

Guessing that Darren's silence answers your question.  The private functionality he explained here could be dangerous if public.  (Imagine being able to get application references to applications written by other developers.)  The workaround I used for the Biometric Login Toolkit was to get the application reference of my server the traditional way (by port) and then call into the server from the client application (whose reference I do not know since the user of the Toolkit writes it) with CBR (Call By Reference) in order to get the data back from the server.  Maybe something similar will work for you.

LVSpeak/LVx does something similar...

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 34
(3,879 Views)

@LabBEAN wrote:

Guessing that Darren's silence answers your question...

Actually, Darren's silence means that he didn't see this thread yet.  😛 

In addition to "scripting" properties and methods, there are also "private" properties and methods.  Private properties and methods are those that are intended only for internal NI use.  In the case of the Abort VI utility, I use some private properties to gain access to all application instances, then filter out those that are private application instances.  These properties, as LabBEAN mentioned, will probably never become public.

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 34
(3,863 Views)

I think I will need this vi to save my Development time .

Thanks for the Nugget.

Ohiofudu

CLD

Certified LabVIEW Architect.
Ohiofudu Israel

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 34
(3,841 Views)

Brilliant!

Xu Laboratory
University of Washington
pasqual[at]uw.edu