LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Occasional Nugget 05/09/2012

@Darren wrote:

When I first learned LabVIEW over 13 years ago, one of the things that stuck with me from my LabVIEW Basics course was that LabVIEW does not support creating an array of arrays:

No but it could.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 11 of 15
(3,081 Views)

In the spirit of taxonomy and making the internet just a little bit smaller, the name applied to arrays that have variable row lengths is "ragged array" or "jagged array". (I understand the two names to be interchangeable and have identical meaning)

On a LabVIEW front panel, it's easy to visualize these names, since "ragged" can loosely be defined as "missing pieces from the whole", and if you connect the dots of the final value in each row, you'll get a "jagged" line.

Message 12 of 15
(3,030 Views)

@Darin.K wrote:

Goodness gracious, those Silver Controls certainly chew up the real estate don't they?

That's exactly why we need this idea! 😉

Message 13 of 15
(3,015 Views)

@JackDunaway wrote:

In the spirit of taxonomy and making the internet just a little bit smaller, the name applied to arrays that have variable row lengths is "ragged array" or "jagged array". (I understand the two names to be interchangeable and have identical meaning)

On a LabVIEW front panel, it's easy to visualize these names, since "ragged" can loosely be defined as "missing pieces from the whole", and if you connect the dots of the final value in each row, you'll get a "jagged" line.

I have heard them called "sparse array" Edit: "Them" being what you get if you try to use a 2D array.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(2,940 Views)

I don't think a sparse array (or matrix) is quite the same. In a sparse matrix, the nondefault- (most oftern nonzero-) elements are ofter rare and scattered all over, while in a ragged array, they are left aligned in the rows.

(LabVIEW even has a toolkit for spares matrices)

Message 15 of 15
(2,921 Views)