LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Occasional Nugget 04/12/2019

You probably know that you can right-click a wire and select "Clean Up Wire":

1.png

This is handy, but (1) it requires you to navigate a menu, and (2) it doesn't support multi-select.

Did you know that you can select a wire and press Ctrl-U to do the same thing? Or that you can select multiple wires and press Ctrl-U to clean them all up? 

Message 1 of 10
(4,987 Views)

That's a long stretch even for my big hands.  Smiley Very Happy

Also Ctrl+B removes all broken wires. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,973 Views)

All my wires are laid down neatly from the beginning, so I have no need for any of this. 😄

Message 3 of 10
(4,941 Views)

I'm midway between Darren and Christian -- I try to lay down straight wires, but I didn't know the ^U trick, and will try it out (as sometimes wires get a one-pixel "kink" ...) (and occasionally much worse, I'm ashamed to admit).

Bob Schor

Message 4 of 10
(4,921 Views)

Thanks Darren for the Nugget Ctrl-U.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,898 Views)

One of those reasons I want the default setting changed for the block diagram grid spacing too match the shift arrow.   How nice would it be to have shift arrow move things 4, 5, 8, 12, whatever number of pixels you choose 

Hey, see the IEJeff is smart

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,885 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

How nice would it be to have shift arrow move things 4, 5, 8, 12, whatever number of pixels you choose 

I am not sure what you mean by "shift arrow" and where would you chose the distance?

In general, <shift>+arrow aligns with the nearest grid line in that direction, i e. the shift distance depends on how far away the nearest grid line is (jump is anywhere between 1 and grid spacing. If we are already aligned with the grid, <shift>+arrow will move exactly by the grid spacing).

I sort of got used to that. So you want <shift>+arrow to move a constant distance, retaining the existing grid misalignment?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,864 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

How nice would it be to have shift arrow move things 4, 5, 8, 12, whatever number of pixels you choose 

I am not sure what you mean by "shift arrow" and where would you chose the distance?

In general, <shift>+arrow aligns with the nearest grid line in that direction, i e. the shift distance depends on how far away the nearest grid line is (jump is anywhere between 1 and grid spacing. If we are already aligned with the grid, <shift>+arrow will move exactly by the grid spacing).

I sort of got used to that. So you want <shift>+arrow to move a constant distance, retaining the existing grid misalignment?

Shift + an Arrow key ( up, down, left, right) moves selected things by 4 pixels on the block diagram.   On a front panel, it moves to the nearest grid space or a whole grid space up to 5 pixels.  ...silly strange behavior that should be looked at.

And,  select from tools>>options. Or VI properties grid spacing.  By vi or default for new vis,  (vi, ctl,vit, vim, ctt,  ctm,.  Etc)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,860 Views)

@JÞB wrote:
Shift + an Arrow key ( up, down, left, right) moves selected things by 4 pixels on the block diagram.

Ah, emphasis on "block diagram".

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,857 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@JÞB wrote:
Shift + an Arrow key ( up, down, left, right) moves selected things by 4 pixels on the block diagram.

Ah, emphasis on "block diagram".

As I said,   silly, strange behavior 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,839 Views)