LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daqmx AI and AO, ni 9234 and ni 9263

Thank you both for your replies.  I will have to look at it when I get back to work.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(1,283 Views)

Hi guys,

The complexity has just increased, in my opinion anyways.  I am to sample 8 AI channels in two ENET-9234.  It is not so much important to be in phase with original signal (function generator for testing) as is with the two Enet 9234. 

I noticed the enet 9163 has pfi 0 and pfi 1, so my question is can I use pfi 1 to share the same clock between the two (one being the reference clock and the other use that clock as well) to synchronize or keep the data in phase with one another.  It would be easier if I have the room for the 8 slot ethernet chassis, but i don't.

Below is a section from the enet 9163 datasheet.  Note *4 mentioned that "sample clock out" is module dependent and I can't find out whether the ni 9234 module has a sample clock out.

Thanks

WLS/ENET-9163 Digital Triggers

Static Characteristics

Number of terminals

2 bi-directional, individually settable

Pull-down resistor

49.9 kΩ ±0.5%

Input voltage protection 3

±20 V on each pin

Power-on state

Input

Required minimum input pulse width

100 ns
PFI Functionality

PFI 1

Sample Clock In, Sample Clock Out 4

PFI 0

Start Trigger In, Start Trigger Out, Pause In, Reference Trigger In

Maximum Operation Conditions
Level Min Max
IOL output low current 8 mA
IOH output high current –8 mA

Digital Input Characteristics
Level Min Max

VIL input low voltage

VIH input high voltage

0 V

2 V

0.8 V

5 V

IIL input low current (Vin = 0 V)

IIH input high current (Vin = 5 V)

–15 μA

120 μA

Digital Output Characteristics
Parameter Voltage Level Current Level
VOL 0.5 V 6 mA
VOH 4.0 V

–6 mA

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(1,266 Views)

Hello,

You can inport/export the master timebase of the NI-9234 as described in this document. This master timbase is what the sample clock is derived from and would keep the two modules in phase with each other. This would be set up in software. 

Regards,

Justin

Justin
National Instruments
Product Support Engineer - Conditioned Measurements
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(1,236 Views)

Hi Justin,

Thanks for sticking around. 

I've read the manual and it said the NI 9234 can export or import its master timebase.  But I am unable to get it to work due to the fact that I can not find the mastertimebase.src and mastertimebase.rate in the daqmx timing property node.

I manage to find an example here where two wls/enet 9215 is synchronized using the same sample clock:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/6124

Tried it with the enet 9234 and the error I am getting is error code 200414, "requested sample clock is invalid" for slave.

I have tried running just one enet 9234 and exporting its sample clock at the pfi 1 terminal, and the scope showed the exact clock pulse as my sample rate in the program, 25.6ks/s.

So I guess my question is if the enet 9234 is capable of importing a sample clock and use it to synchronizing itself with a twin?  Or I am omintting something in the example program?

Here is my program, light mod to the example, just changed the device names.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(1,218 Views)

oops, attached the wrong file, disregard the top.vi from above,

attaching the correct one

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(1,197 Views)

Hello,

You can export the master timebase from NI-9234 to another but you cannot export a trigger, therefore you will need an additional module that can export a trigger to both devices to synchronize them.  This document describes how to trigger the NI-9234.

Regards,

Justin

Justin
National Instruments
Product Support Engineer - Conditioned Measurements
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(1,174 Views)