LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DaNI Starter Kit 2.0 Motor Driving

Hi,

I have got a problem with the Robotics Starter Kit 2.0. The problem is that when a VI contains two commands, one for moving forward and the other command is for rotation (one wheel moves in the opposite direction of the other one). Of course, both commands are not parallel, they are issued in series. (check the attached VI).

As you can see in the VI:

In the first loop, DaNI moves forward with 5 rad/sec speed. It stops when I press Step1: Stop Moving stop button.

The second loop is used only to stall the execution till I press Start Rotating.

In the third loop, DaNI rotates around its vertial axis and keeps rotating till I press Step2: Stop Rotating stop button.

The forth loop is just like the second one.

In the last loop, DaNI continues moving forward till I press Step3: Stop Moving stop button.

Now, the problem occurs in the third loop and the last loop. Every time one wheel starts rotation before the other!!!!!

Also I suspect that the robot needs reset to its original firmware (both the Real Time Processor and the FPGA).

so is there any document that describes the steps to reset?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,018 Views)

jokes_finder,

Can you confirm that the wheel physically starts moving before the other, or does one wheel rotate faster than the other?

As for an original firmware update, could you be more specific? Have you updated the firmware yourself in some way? I have not heard of a firmware update for these devices.

Robert B
RF Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,951 Views)

Robert B,

Thanks for your response.

And yeah, the wheel starts physically starts rotation before the other.

for the firmware update, I haven't update it in anyway. I just thought so just as a suggestion that may resolve the mentioned problem (one wheel physically starts rotation before the other).

Regards,

Ahmad.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,941 Views)

Ahmad,

I spoke with some colleagues and it looks like you can reset your sbRIO to factory default settings and push the software you need to it for the DaNI. I've included a link to a KnowledgeBase article for how to do this below.

http://ae.natinst.com/public.nsf/webPreview/6B1343F61905203386257051006573CA?OpenDocument

Also, would you mind trying to run a couple of examples from the example finder? To get to the Example Finder in LabVIEW, go to Help>>Find Examples. From here, navigate to Robotics>>Basics>>Starter Kit 2.0.lvproj. Let me know if you see the behavior in this example as well.

The next example to try is found in the Example Finder at Robotics>>Steering>>Differential Steering.vi. Let's see if this one shows the same behavior with the wheels. Let me know what you find out.

Robert B
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,900 Views)

Could you please check the link you posted?

The link is broken or dead!!

Here's the msg I get:

"Sorry, "ae.natinst.com" does not exist or could not be found"

Thanks.

Regards,

Ahmad.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,886 Views)

Ahmad,

My apologies. Give this link a try. Did you see any difference running the examples I suggested?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/6B1343F61905203386257051006573CA?OpenDocument

Robert B
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,869 Views)

Robert,

We got sbRIO reset to its factory state. But nothing happened, the problem still exists.

For the roaming example, I don't think it can help us identifying the problem; since the speed changes on the go. The problem occurs only in either of the following cases:

• DaNI is moving in straight line, stops then rotates about its vertical vertex (the two wheels are rotoating in opposite direction with respect to each other).
  • DaNI is rotating about its vertical axis, stops then moves in straight line.

In the roaming sample code, the velocity is changed but DaNI doesn't stop.

For the second sample code, it didn't work in the first place!! That is, we have downloaded the file to DaNI but didn't respond to any commands.

So, what do you think?

I have attached a VI that I am currently using to debug the problem. Would you please check if I am doing something wrong in the VI?

Regards,

Ahmad.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,827 Views)

Ahmad,

First, taking a look at your original post Main.vi, I noticed  you are using "Initialize Sim" as the first block in your diagram.  I you are running this on your sbRIO, and not in simulation mode, you will want to use "Initialize" instead.  As soon as I made that modification I was able to get your original VI to run.  I have not been able to replicate the behavior of one wheel starting before the other, but I am using the DaNI 1.0 right now.  I will need to try and track down a DaNI 2.0 to test and see if I can replicate that behavior.  If you made the modification that I mentioned, does it fix this problem for your VI?  I'll try and see if I can test this on a DaNI 2.0 later.

Shane C

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,800 Views)