From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSC database

Hello,

I'm quite new to DSC and I'm facing a question I haven't found any answer to in documents or forums, I hope someone could give a clue. I'm developing a control application which runs embedded on a cFP-2120 using Labview 8.2.1 and I would like to have a user interface in a PC so that the user can connect to change some set-points and other options, so I have used the shared variable to communicate between PC and cFP. This shared variables are deployed in the FP so that way the user can turn off the PC (or unplug it from the network) and the control will go on working.

Now, I would like to log data from many channels and keep an alarm register of those channels and I been asked if I could use DSC module but looks like I can't use the capabilities of DSC module provides for database unless the library in which the shared variables are stored is deployed to a PC. If I rigth-click my .lvlib file (which is under the cFP) and choose properties I can't see neither "DSC settings: Database" nor "DSC settings: Data Access".

Could anyone tell me if there's any solution to this or suggest an alternative?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,948 Views)
That is true.  If the shared variables are in a library in the cFP, they can't do the logging and alarm features.  Shared variables stored on the PC can do all of the DSC functions.

You can create another library of the variables on the PC and turn on the desired features.  Those variables could be bound to the cFP IO points, or to the shared variables that are stored on the cFP.  Of course that means the PC has to be on and running, and the SV library on the PC deployed in order to be able to log those channels.  But in the event someone turns off the PC or takes it off the network, the cFP will still run based on its SV library, you'll just lose the logging features.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(6,943 Views)